meremoth Summary and Overview
Bible Dictionaries at a Glance
meremoth in Easton's Bible Dictionary
exaltations, heights, a priest who returned from Babylon with
Zerubbabel (Neh. 12:3), to whom were sent the sacred vessels
(Ezra 8:33) belonging to the temple. He took part in rebuilding
the walls of Jerusalem (Neh. 3:4).
meremoth in Smith's Bible Dictionary
1. Son of Uriah or Urijah the priest, of the family of Koz or Hakkoz, the head of the seventh course of priests as established by David. In #Ezr 8:33| Meremoth is appointed to weigh and register the gold and silver vessels belonging to the temple. In the rebuilding of the wall of Jerusalem under Nehemiah we find Meremoth taking an active part. #Ne 3:4|
2. A layman of the sons of Bani, who had married a foreign wife. #Ezr 10:36|
3. A priest, or more probably a family of priests, who sealed the covenant with Nehemiah. #Ne 10:5|
meremoth in Schaff's Bible Dictionary
MER'EMOTH (heights). 1. A priest who was appointed to weigh and register the gold and silver vessels belonging to the temple in the time of Ezra, Ezr 8:24-33, and who took active part in the rebuilding of the walls of Jerusalem. Neh 3:4. 2. One who married a foreign wife and put her away. Ezr 10:36. 3. A priest who sealed the covenant. Neh 10:5.
meremoth in Fausset's Bible Dictionary
1. Son of Urijah the priest. He weighed and registered the golden and silver vessels of the temple, which Ezra had brought from Babylon (Ezra 8:24-30; Ezra 8:33; Nehemiah 3:4).
2. Ezra 10:36.
3. (See MERAIOTH); Nehemiah 12:3; Nehemiah 12:15.