mattaniah Summary and Overview
Bible Dictionaries at a Glance
mattaniah in Easton's Bible Dictionary
gift of Jehovah. (1.) A Levite, son of Heman, the chief of the
ninth class of temple singers (1 Chr. 25:4, 16).
(2.) A Levite who assisted in purifying the temple at the
reformation under Hezekiah (2 Chr. 29:13).
(3.) The original name of Zedekiah (q.v.), the last of the
kings of Judah (2 Kings 24:17). He was the third son of Josiah,
who fell at Megiddo. He succeeded his nephew Jehoiakin.
mattaniah in Smith's Bible Dictionary
(gift of Jehovah).
1. The original name of Zedekiah king of Judah, which was changed when Nebuchadnezzar placed him on the throne. #2Ki 24:17|
2. A Levite singer of the sons of Asaph. #1Ch 9:15| He was leader of the temple choir after its restoration, #Ne 11:17; 12:8| in the time of Nehemiah, and took part in the musical service which accompanied the dedication of the wall of Jerusalem. #Ne 12:25,35|
3. A descendant of Asaph, and ancestor of Jahaziel the Levite, in the reign of Jehoshaphat. #2Ch 20:14|
4. One of the sons of Elam. #Ezr 10:26|
5. One of the sons of Zattu. #Ezr 10:27|
6. A descendant of Pahath-moab, #Ezr 10:30| and
7. One of the sons of Bani. #Ezr 10:37| who all put away their foreign wives at Ezra's command.
8. A Levite, father of Zaccur and ancestor of Hanan the under-treasurer who had charge of the offerings for the Levites in the time of Nehemiah. #Ne 13:13|
9. One of the fourteen sons of Heman, whose office it was to blow the horns in the temple service appointed by David. #1Ch 25:4,16|
10. A descendant of Asaph the Levite minstrel, who assisted in the purification of the temple in the reign of Hezekiah. #2Ch 29:13|
mattaniah in Fausset's Bible Dictionary
("gift of Jehovah".)
1. King Zedekiah's (Jehovah's justice) original name, changed when Nebuchadnezzar put him on the throne instead of his nephew Jehoiachin (2 Kings 24:17).
2. 1 Chronicles 9:15-16, "keeper of the thresholds." Son of Micha or Michaiah (Nehemiah 11:27; Nehemiah 12:8; Nehemiah 12:28-29; Nehemiah 12:25; Nehemiah 12:35); lived in the Netophathite villages of the singers near Jerusalem. As leader of the temple choir he took part in the music at the dedication of the wall.
3. 2 Chronicles 20:14.
4. Ezra 10:26.
5. Ezra 10:26-27.
6. Ezra 10:30.
7. Ezra 10:37
8. Nehemiah 13:13.
9. 1 Chronicles 25:4-5; 1 Chronicles 25:7; 1 Chronicles 25:16.
10. 2 Chronicles 29:13.