Melas in Harpers Dictionary of Classical Antiquities (1898)
（Μέλας). The name of several rivers, whose waters were a dark colour.
A small river in Boeotia, flowing between Orchomenus and Aspledon.
A river of Thessaly, in the district Malis, falling into the Malic Gulf.
A river of Thessaly in Phthiotis, falling into the Apidanus.
A river of Thrace, falling into the Melas Sinus.
A river in the northeast of Sicily, flowing into the sea between Mylae and Naulochus, through excellent meadows, in which the oxen of the Sun are said to have fed.
A river in Asia Minor, the boundary between Pamphylia and Cilicia.
Melas in Wikipedia
Melas can be
* Pavlos Melas (1870–1904), an officer of the Greek army.
* Panagiotis Melas, Greek politician and member of the Greek Parliament.
* The village where Pavlos Melas died (coordinates 40° 42' N 021° 16' E).
* Michael von Melas, an Austrian field marshal during the Napoleonic Wars
* MELAS - Mitochondrial Encephalomyopathy, Lactic Acidosis, Stroke-like episodes.
* Melas, an argonaut in Greek mythology