Zabadiah in the Bible Encyclopedia - ISBE
zeb-a-di'-a ((1) zebhadhyaha, (2) zebhadhyah, "Yah has
bestowed"; the form (1) is the Hebrew name in (1), (a), (b),
(2), below; the form (2) in the rest. Some manuscripts have
Zechariah in (1), (a), (b), (3)).
Compare ZABDI; ZABDIEL:
(1) Levites: (a) a Korahite doorkeeper of David's reign (1
Ch 26:2); (b) one of the Levites sent by King Jehoshaphat to
teach the Torah in Judah (2 Ch 17:8).
(2) Son of Ishmael (2 Ch 19:11); "ruler of the house of
Judah in all the king's (Jehoshaphat's) matters," i.e. judge
in civil cases, the "controversies" of 2 Ch 19:8.
(3) Benjamites, perhaps descended from Ehud (see Curtis,
Chron., 158 ff): (a) In 1 Ch 8:15; (b) in 8:17, where the
name may be a dittography from 8:15.
(4) A Benjamite recruit of David at Ziklag (1 Ch 12:7
(Hebrew verse 8)).
(5) One of David's army officers, son and successor of
Asahel (1 Ch 27:7).
(6) One of those who returned from Babylon to Jerusalem with
Ezra (Ezr 8:8) = "Zaraias" of 1 Esdras 8:34.
(7) One of those who had married foreign wives (Ezr 10:20) =
"Zabdeus" of 1 Esdras 9:21.
David Francis Roberts
Zebadiah in Easton's Bible Dictionary
gift of Jehovah. (1.) A son of Asahel, Joab's brother (1 Chr.
(2.) A Levite who took part as one of the teachers in
system of national education instituted by Jehoshaphat
(3.) The son of Ishmael, "the ruler of the house of
all the king's matters" (2 Chr. 19:8-11).
(4.) A son of Beriah (1 Chr. 8:15).
(5.) A Korhite porter of the Lord's house (1 Chr.
or four others of this name are also mentioned.
Zebadiah in Fausset's Bible Dictionary
1. A Benjamite of the sons of Beriah (1 Chronicles 8:15).
2. Of the sons of Elpaal (1 Chronicles 8:17).
3. Of the sons of Jeroham of Gedor, a Benjamite who
joined David at Ziklag (1 Chronicles 12:7).
4. Son of Asahel, Joab's brother (1 Chronicles 27:7).
5. Son of Michael, of the sons of Shephatiah (Ezra
8:8); returned with 80 males in Ezra's caravan (Ezra 8:8).
6. A priest, of the sons of Immer; married a foreign
wife (Ezra 10:20).
7. Third son of Meshelemiah, the Korhite (1 Chronicles
8. A Levite sent by Jehoshaphat to teach the law in
the Cities of Judah (2 Chronicles 17:8).
9. Son of Ishmael, and prince of Judah under
Jehoshaphat (2 Chronicles 19:11). Zebadiah probably acted for
the king, Amariah the high priest for the priesthood and
ecclesiastical interests in the court consisting of priests,
Levites, and chief men, over which they jointly presided, and
which decided all causes civil and ecclesiastical.
Zebadiah in Hitchcock's Bible Names
portion of the Lord; the Lord is my portion
Zebadiah in Naves Topical Bible
-1. Two Benjamites
-2. An Israelite who joined David at Ziklag
-3. A Korhite porter in the temple
-4. Son of Asahel
-5. An itinerant Levite teacher
-6. Son of Ishmael and counselor of the king
-7. Son of Shephaniah
-8. A priest who defiled himself by marrying an idolatrous
Zebadiah in Smiths Bible Dictionary
1. A Benjamite of the sons of Beriah. 1Ch 8:15
2. A Benjamite of the sons of Elpaal. 1Ch 8:17
3. One of the sons of Jeroham of Gedor. 1Ch 12:7
4. Son of Asahel, the brother of Joab. 1Ch 27:7
5. Son of Michael, of the sons of Shephatiah. Ezr 8:8
6. A priest Of the sons of Immer, who had married a
foreign wife after the return from Babylon. Ezr 10:20
7. Third son of Meshelemiah the Korhite. 1Ch 26:3
8. A Levite in the reign of Jehoshaphat. 2Ch 17:8
9. The son of Ishmael and prince of the house of Judah
in the reign of Jehoshaphat. 2Ch 19:11
Zebadiah in Wikipedia
Zebadiah ("gift of God"; "Jehovah has bestowed"; cf. Zebedee)
A son of Asahel, Joab's brother (1 Chr. 27:7).
A Levite who took part as one of the teachers in the system of
national education instituted by Jehoshaphat (2 Chr. 17:7, 8).
The son of Ishmael, "the ruler of the house of Judah in all
the king's matters" (2 Chr. 19:8-11).
A son of Beriah (1 Chr. 8:15).
A Korhite porter of the Lord's house (1 Chr. 26:2). Three or
four others of this name are also mentioned.
Zebadiah Scripture - 1 Chronicles 27:7
The fourth [captain] for the fourth month [was] Asahel the
brother of Joab, and Zebadiah his son after him: and in his
course [were] twenty and four thousand.
Zebadiah Scripture - 2 Chronicles 17:8
And with them [he sent] Levites, [even] Shemaiah, and
Nethaniah, and Zebadiah, and Asahel, and Shemiramoth, and
Jehonathan, and Adonijah, and Tobijah, and Tobadonijah,
Levites; and with them Elishama and Jehoram, priests.
Zebadiah Scripture - 2 Chronicles 19:11
And, behold, Amariah the chief priest [is] over you in all
matters of the LORD; and Zebadiah the son of Ishmael, the
ruler of the house of Judah, for all the king's matters: also
the Levites [shall be] officers before you. Deal courageously,
and the LORD shall be with the good.