Bible Names N-Z: Shallum
Shallum in Easton's Bible Dictionary
retribution. (1.) The son of Jabesh, otherwise unknown. He
"conspired against Zachariah, and smote him before
and slew him, and reigned in his stead" (2 Kings
reigned only "a month of days in Samaria" (15:13,
Menahem rose up against Shallum and put him to death
15:14, 15, 17), and became king in his stead.
(2.) Keeper of the temple vestments in the reign of
(3.) One of the posterity of Judah (1 Chr. 2:40,
(4.) A descendant of Simeon (1 Chr. 4:25).
(5.) One of the line of the high priests (1 Chr.
(6.) 1 Chr. 7:13.
(7.) A keeper of the gate in the reign of David (1
(8.) A Levite porter (1 Chr. 9:19, 31; Jer. 35:4).
(9.) An Ephraimite chief (2 Chr. 28:12).
(10.) The uncle of the prophet Jeremiah (Jer. 32:7).
(11.) A son of king Josiah (1 Chr. 3:15; Jer.
22:11), who was
elected to succeed his father on the throne,
although he was two
years younger than his brother Eliakim. He assumed
under the name of Jehoahaz (q.v.). He did not
example of his father (2 Kings 23:32), but was "a
and it learned to catch the prey; it devoured men"
His policy was anti-Egyptian therefore. Necho, at
that time at
Riblah, sent an army against Jerusalem, which at
and Jehoahaz was carried captive to the Egyptian
being appointed king in his stead. He remained a
Egypt till his death, and was the first king of
Judah that died
Shallum in Fausset's Bible Dictionary
1. Son of Jabesh; 15th king of Israel. Smote
Zachariah, son of Jeroboam II, openly before the people
(showing that their sympathies were with him), and seized
the kingdom (2 Kings 15:9-10), thereby fulfilling the
prophecy that Jehu's dynasty should last only to the fourth
generation (2 Kings 10:30). Slain after a month's reign by
Menahem, illustrating the retributive law (Matthew 26:52;
2. The prophetess Huldah's husband (2 Kings 22:14);
keeper of the priestly vestments (2 Chronicles 34:22).
3. 1 Chronicles 2:40-41
4. King Josiah's fourth son in order, according to 1
Chronicles 3:15; Jeremiah 22:11; by birth third son (See
5. 1 Chronicles 4:25.
6. Ezra 7:2; 1 Chronicles 6:12-13.
7. 1 Chronicles 7:13; SHILLEM in Genesis 46:24;
8. 1 Chronicles 9:17; Ezra 2:42.
9. Son of Kore (1 Chronicles 9:19; 1 Chronicles
9:31). From 1 Chronicles 9:18 it seems Shallum, etc., were
of higher rank than Shallum, Akkub, etc., who were "for the
companies of the sons of Levi."
10. 2 Chronicles 28:12.
11. Ezra 10:24.
12. Ezra 10:42.
13. Rebuilt the wall with his daughters (Nehemiah
14. Jeremiah's uncle (Jeremiah 32:7); perhaps the
same as Shallum, Huldah's husband.
15. Jeremiah 35:4.
Shallum in Hitchcock's Bible Names
Shallum in Naves Topical Bible
-1. King of Israel
-2. The husband of Huldah, the prophetess
2Ki 22:14; 2Ch 34:22
-3. Son of Sisamai
-4. See JEHOAHAZ, number three
-5. Grandson of Simeon
-6. Son of Zadok
1Ch 6:12,13; Ezr 7:2
1Ch 9:11; Ne 11:11
-7. See SHILLEM
-8. A chief porter of the temple
-9. Father of Jehizkiah
-10. The ancestor of a family of returned exiles
Ezr 2:42; Ne 7:45
-11. A porter who put away (divorced) his wife
-12. A son of Bani, who put away (divorced) his wife
-13. A Jew who repaired a portion of the wall of Jerusalem
-14. Uncle of Jeremiah
-15. Father of Maaseiah
Shallum in Smiths Bible Dictionary
1. The fifteenth king of Israel, son of Jabesh,
conspired against Zachariah, killed him, and brought the
dynasty of Jehu to a close, B.C. 770. Shallum, after
reigning in Samaria for a month only, was in his turn
dethroned and killed by Menahem. 2Ki 15:10-14
2. The husband of Huldah the prophetess, 2Ki 22:14;
2Ch 34:23 in the reign of Josiah. (B.C. 830.)
3. A descendant of Shesham. 1Ch 2:40,41
4. The third son of Josiah king of Judah, known in
the books of Kings and Chronicles as Jehoahaz. 1Ch 3:15; Jer
22:11 [JEHOAHAZ] (B.C. 610.)
5. Son of Shaul the son of Simeon. 1Ch 4:25
6. A high priest. 1Ch 6:12,13; Ezr 7:2
7. A son of Naphtali. 1Ch 7:13
8. The chief of a family of porters or gate-keepers
of the east gate of the temple. 1Ch 9:17 (B.C. 1050.)
9. Son of Kore, a Korahite. 1Ch 9:19,31
10. Father of Jehizkiah, an Ephraimite. 2Ch 28:12
11. One of the porters of the temple who had married
a foreign wife. Ezr 10:24
12. One of the sons of Bani. Ezr 10:42
13. The son of Halohesh and ruler of a district of
Jerusalem. Ne 3:12
14. The uncle of Jeremiah, Jer 32:7 perhaps the same
15. Father or ancestor of Maaseiah Jer 35:4 perhaps
the same as 9. (B.C. 630.)
Shallum in the Bible Encyclopedia - ISBE
shal'-um (shallum, shallum; various forms in the
Septuagint): This is the name of not less than 12 Hebrew
(1) The youngest son of Naphtali (1 Ch 7:13). He is also
called "Shillem" in Gen 46:24; Nu 26:49.
(2) A descendant of Simeon, the son of Shaul and the father
of Mibsam (1 Ch 4:25). He lived in 1618 BC.
(3) The son of Sismai "son" of Shesham of the tribe of Judah
(1 Ch 2:40,41). He lived in 1300 BC.
(4) A son of Kore, a porter of the sanctuary during the
reign of David (1 Ch 9:17,19,31; Ezr 2:42; Neh 7:45). The
name is also written "Meshullam" in Neh 12:25, "Salum" in 1
Esdras 5:28, "Meshelemiah" in 1 Ch 26:1,2,9, and "Shelemiah"
in 1 Ch 26:14. He lived about 1050 BC.
(5) A son of Zadok and father of Hilkiah, a high priest and
ancestor of Ezra the scribe (1 Ch 6:12,13; Ezr 7:2). In the
works of Josephus he is called "Sallumus"; in 1 Esdras 8:1,
"Salem," and in 2 Esdras 1:1, "Salemas."
(6) The 15th king of Israel. See following article.
(7) A son of Bani, a priest who had taken a heathen wife and
was compelled by Ezra the scribe to put her away (Ezr 10:42;
omitted in 1 Esdras 9:34).
(8) The father of Jehizkiah, an Ephraimite in the time of
Ahaz king of Israel (2 Ch 28:12).
(9) The husband of the prophetess Huldah (2 Ki 22:14; 2 Ch
34:22). He was the keeper of the sacred wardrobe and was
probably the uncle of Jeremiah the prophet (Jer 32:7;
compare Jer 35:4).
(10) King of Judah and son of Josiah (Jer 22:11; 1 Ch 3:15),
better known by the name Jehoahaz II. This name he received
when he ascended the throne of the kingdom of Judah (2 Ch
(11) A Levite who was a porter at the time of Ezra (Ezr
10:24; "Sallumus" in 1 Esdras 9:25).
(12) A ruler over a part of Jerusalem and a son of
Hallohesh. He with his daughters aided in building the walls
of Jerusalem in the time of Nehemiah (Neh 3:12).
S. L. Umbach
Shallum in Wikipedia
Shallum ("retribution") was the name of several people of the
Shallum of Israel, the king of Israel
King of Judah also known as Jehoahaz
Keeper of the temple vestments in the reign of Josiah (2 Kings
One of the posterity of Judah (1 Chronicles 2:40, 41)
A descendant of Simeon (1 Chr. 4:25)
A descendant of Levi, and one of the line of the high priests
(1 Chr. 6:13)
One of the sons of Naphtali (1 Chr. 7:13)
A keeper of the gate in the reign of David (1 Chr. 9:17)
A Levite porter (1 Chr. 9:19, 31; Jeremiah 35:4)
An Ephraimite chief (2 Chronicles 28:12)
The uncle of the prophet Jeremiah (Jer. 32:7)
Shallum son of Hallohesh, ruler of a half-district of
Jerusalem, repaired a section of the wall of Jerusalem with
the help of his daughters.(Nehemiah. 3:12)
Shallum Scripture - 1 Chronicles 2:40
And Eleasah begat Sisamai, and Sisamai begat Shallum,
Shallum Scripture - Ezra 2:42
The children of the porters: the children of Shallum, the
children of Ater, the children of Talmon, the children of
Akkub, the children of Hatita, the children of Shobai, [in]
all an hundred thirty and nine.
Shallum Scripture - Nehemiah 7:45
The porters: the children of Shallum, the children of Ater,
the children of Talmon, the children of Akkub, the children of
Hatita, the children of Shobai, an hundred thirty and eight.
If you notice a broken link or any error PLEASE report it by clicking HERE
© 1995-2018 Bible History Online