Bible Names H-M: Maaseiah
Maaseiah in Easton's Bible Dictionary
the work of Jehovah. (1.) One of the Levites whom David
appointed as porter for the ark (1 Chr. 15:18, 20).
(2.) One of the "captains of hundreds" associated
Jehoiada in restoring king Jehoash to the throne (2
(3.) The "king's son," probably one of the sons of
killed by Zichri in the invasion of Judah by Pekah,
Israel (2 Chr. 28:7).
(4.) One who was sent by king Josiah to repair the
Chr. 34:8). He was governor (Heb. sar, rendered
elsewhere in the
Authorized Version "prince," "chief captain," chief
(5.) The father of the priest Zephaniah (Jer. 21:1;
(6.) The father of the false prophet Zedekiah (Jer.
Maase'iah, refuge is Jehovah, a priest, the father
(Jer. 32:12; 51:59).
Maaseiah in Fausset's Bible Dictionary
1. Ezra 10:18.
2. Ezra 10:21.
3. Ezra 10:22.
4. Ezra 10:30.
5. Nehemiah 3:23.
6. Nehemiah 8:4.
7. Nehemiah 8:7.
8. Nehemiah 10:25.
9. Nehemiah 11:5 Equating to Asaiah, 1 Chronicles
10. Nehemiah 11:7.
11. Nehemiah 12:6; Nehemiah 12:41-42.
12. Jeremiah 29:25.
13. Jeremiah 29:21.
14. 1 Chronicles 15:18-20.
15. 2 Chronicles 23:1.
16. An upper officer (shoter) or "ruler" under
Uzziah (2 Chronicles 26:11).
17. King Ahaz's son, slain by Zichri the "mighty
man" of Ephraim in Pekah's invasion of Judah (2 Chronicles
28:7), connected officially with the "governor of the city"
(2 Chronicles 18:25; 1 Kings 22:26).
18. Governor of Jerusalem under Josiah;
superintended the restoration of the temple (2 Chronicles
19. Jeremiah 35:4.
20. Jeremiah 32:12; Jeremiah 51:59.
Maaseiah in Hitchcock's Bible Names
the work of the Lord
Maaseiah in Naves Topical Bible
-1. A Levite musician
-2. A captain of hundreds
-3. An officer of Uzziah
-4. Son of Ahaz. killed by Zichri
-5. Govenor of Jerusalem
-6. The name of a number of priests of the exile
Ezr 10:18,21,22; Ne 8:4,7; 12:41,42; Jer 21:1;
-7. A returned exile
-8. Father of Azariah
-9. One who sealed the covenant
-10. A descendant of Pharez
-11. A Benjamite
-12. Father of a false prophet
-13. An officer of the temple
-14. Grandfather of Baruch
Jer 32:12; 51:59
Maaseiah in Smiths Bible Dictionary
(work of the Lord), the name of four persons who had
married foreign wives. In the time of Ezra,
1. A descendant of Jeshua the priest. Ezr 10:18
2. A priest, of the sons of Harim. Ezr 10:21
3. A priest, of the sons of Pashur. Ezr 10:22
4. One of the laymen, a descendant of Pahath-moab.
5. The father of Azariah. Ne 3:23
6. One of those who stood on the right hand of Ezra
when he read the law to the people. Ne 8:4
7. A Levite who assisted on the same occasion. Ne
8. One of the heads of the people whose descendants
signed the covenant with Nehemiah. Ne 10:25
9. Son of Baruch the descendant of Pharez the son of
Judah, Ne 11:5
10. A Benjamite, ancestor of Sallu. Ne 11:7
11. Two priests of this name are mentioned, Ne
12:41,42 as taking part in the musical service which
accompanied the dedication of the wall of Jerusalem under
Ezra. One of them is probably the same as No. 6.
12. Father of Zephaniah, who was a priest in the
reign of Zedekiah. Jer 21:1; 29:25; 37:3
13. Father of Zedekiah the false prophet. Jer 29:21
14. One of the Levites of the second rank, appointed
by David to sound "with psaltries on Alamoth." 1Ch 15:18,20
15. The son of Adaiah, and one of the captains of
hundreds in the reign of Joash king of Judah. 2Ch 23:1
16. An officer of high rank in the reign of Uzziah.
2Ch 26:11 He was probably a Levite, comp: 1Ch 23:4 and
engaged in a semi-military capacity.
17. The "king's son," killed by Zichri the
Ephraimitish hero in the invasion of Judah by Pekah king of
Israel, during the reign of Ahaz. 2Ch 28:7
18. The governor of Jerusalem in the reign of
Josiah. 2Ch 34:8
19. The son of Shallum, a Levite of high rank in the
reign of Jehoiakim. Jer 35:4 comp, 1Chr 9:19
20. A priest; ancestor of Baruch and Seraiah, the
sons of Neriah. Jer 32:12; 51:59
Maaseiah in the Bible Encyclopedia - ISBE
ma-a-se'-ya, ma-a-si'a (ma`aseyahu, "Yahweh's work";
Maassaia, and Massaias in the Septuagint): A name common in
exilic and late monarchic times (Gray, H P N).
(1) A Levite musician named in connection with David's
bringing up of the ark from the house of Obed-edom (1 Ch
(2) A Levite captain who aided Jehoiada at the coronation of
Joash (2 Ch 23:1).
(3) An officer of Uzziah (2 Ch 26:11).
(4) Ahaz' son, slain by the Ephraimite, Zichri (2 Ch 28:7).
(5) A governor of Jerusalem under Josiah (2 Ch 34:8).
(6) (7) (8) (9) The name of 4 men, 3 of them priests, who
had married foreign wives (Ezr 10:18,21,22,30).
(10) Father of Azariah, one of the builders of the wall (Neh
(11) One of those who stood at Ezra's right hand during the
reading of the Law (Neh 8:4).
(12) One of the expounders of the Law (Neh 8:7).
(13) One of those who took part in sealing the covenant (Neh
(14) A Judahite inhabitant of Jerusalem (Neh 11:5), who in 1
Ch 9:5 is called Asaiah.
(15) A Benjamite (Neh 11:7).
(16) (17) Name of two priests (Neh 12:41 f).
(18) A priest in Zedekiah's reign, father of a certain
Zephaniah who interviewed the prophet Jeremiah (Jer 21:1;
(19) Father of the false prophet Zedekiah (Jer 29:21).
(20) A keeper of the threshold in the reign of Jehoiakim
(21) Baaseiah (which see), a Kohathite name (1 Ch 6:40), is
probably a textual error for Maaseiah.
(22) the King James Version for Mahseiah, an ancestor of
Baruch (Jer 32:12).
John A. Lees
Maaseiah in Wikipedia
One of the Levites whom David appointed as porter for the ark
I Chronicles 15:18 , I Chronicles 15:20
One of the "captains of hundreds" associated with Jehoiada in
restoring king Jehoash to the throne II Chronicles 23:1
The "king's son," probably one of the sons of king Ahaz,
killed by Zichri in the invasion of Judah by Pekah, king of
Israel II Chronicles 28:7
One who was sent by king Josiah to repair the temple Ch2. 34:8
. He was governor (Heb. sar , rendered elsewhere in the
Authorized Version "prince," "chief captain," chief ruler") of
The father of the priest Zephaniah Jer. 21:1 ,Jer. 37:3
The father of the false prophet Zedekiah Jer. 29:21
a priest, the father of Neriah Jer. 32:12 , Jer. 51:59
Maaseiah Scripture - Nehemiah 3:23
After him repaired Benjamin and Hashub over against their
house. After him repaired Azariah the son of Maaseiah the son
of Ananiah by his house.
Maaseiah Scripture - Nehemiah 8:4
And Ezra the scribe stood upon a pulpit of wood, which they
had made for the purpose; and beside him stood Mattithiah, and
Shema, and Anaiah, and Urijah, and Hilkiah, and Maaseiah, on
his right hand; and on his left hand, Pedaiah, and Mishael,
and Malchiah, and Hashum, and Hashbadana, Zechariah, [and]
Maaseiah Scripture - Nehemiah 8:7
Also Jeshua, and Bani, and Sherebiah, Jamin, Akkub,
Shabbethai, Hodijah, Maaseiah, Kelita, Azariah, Jozabad,
Hanan, Pelaiah, and the Levites, caused the people to
understand the law: and the people [stood] in their place.
If you notice a broken link or any error PLEASE report it by clicking HERE
© 1995-2019 Bible History Online