Adaiah in Fausset's Bible Dictionary
1. 2 Kings 22:1.
2. 1 Chronicles 6:41.
3. 1 Chronicles 8:21.
4. 1 Chronicles 9:12; Nehemiah 11:12.
5. Ezra 10:29.
6. Ezra 10:39; Nehemiah 11:5. Adalia.
Adaiah in Hitchcock's Bible Names
the witness of the Lord
Adaiah in Naves Topical Bible
1. Grandfather of Josiah
-2. A musician
-3. A priest
1Ch 9:12; Ne 11:12
-4. A Benjamite
-5. Father of Maaseiah
-6. Two sons of Bani
-7. Son of Joiarib
Adaiah in Smiths Bible Dictionary
(adorned by Jehovah).
1. Maternal grandfather of King Josiah, and native of
Boscath in the lowlands of Judah. 2Ki 22:1 (B.C. 648.)
2. A Levite of the Gershonite branch, and ancestor of
Asaph. 1Ch 6:41 In v. 1Ch 6:21 Heb Isa called IDDO.
3. A Benjamite, son of Shimhi, 1Ch 8:21 who is
apparently the same as Shema in v. 1Ch 8:13
4. A priest, son of Jehoram. 1Ch 9:12; Ne 11:12
5. Ancestor of Maaseiah, one of the captains who
supported Jehoiada. 2Ch 23:1
6. One of the descendants of Bani, who had married a
foreign wife after the return from Babylon. Ezr 10:29 (B.C.
7. The descendant of another Bani, who had also taken
a foreign wife. Ezr 10:39
8. A man of Judah, of the line of Pharez. Ne 11:5
Adaiah in the Bible Encyclopedia - ISBE
a-da'-ya, a-di'-a (`adhayah, "Yahweh hath adorned"):
(1) Apparently the seventh of the nine sons of Shimei, who
is apparently the same with Shema, who is the fifth of the
sons of Elpaal, who is the second of the two sons of
Shaharaim and Hushim (1 Ch 8:21). Shaharaim and his
descendants are listed with the descendants of Benjamin,
though his relations to Benjamin are not stated.
(2) A Levite; ancestor to David's singer Asaph, and a
descendant of the fifth generation from Gershom (1 Ch 6:41).
(3) The father of Maaseiah, who was one of the captains of
hundreds associated with Jehoiada the priest in making Joash
king (2 Ch 23:1).
(4) A resident of Bozkath, and father of Jedidah the mother
of King Josiah (2 Ki 22:1).
(5) A descendant of Judah through Perez. His great-great-
grandson Maaseiah resided in Jerusalem after Nehemiah had
rehabilitated the city (Neh 11:5).
(6) One of the men of Israel, not a priest or Levite, but
"of the sons of Bani," who promised Ezra that he would part
with his foreign wife (Ezr 10:29).
(7) The same man or another, in a different group of the
sons of Bani (Ezr 10:39).
(8) One of the priests of the latest Bible times, mentioned
with a partial genealogy (Neh 11:12; 1 Ch 9:12).
Adaiah Scripture - 2 Chronicles 23:1
And in the seventh year Jehoiada strengthened himself, and
took the captains of hundreds, Azariah the son of Jeroham, and
Ishmael the son of Jehohanan, and Azariah the son of Obed, and
Maaseiah the son of Adaiah, and Elishaphat the son of Zichri,
into covenant with him.
Adaiah Scripture - 2 Kings 22:1
Josiah [was] eight years old when he began to reign, and he
reigned thirty and one years in Jerusalem. And his mother's
name [was] Jedidah, the daughter of Adaiah of Boscath.
Adaiah Scripture - Nehemiah 11:12
And their brethren that did the work of the house [were] eight
hundred twenty and two: and Adaiah the son of Jeroham, the son
of Pelaliah, the son of Amzi, the son of Zechariah, the son of
Pashur, the son of Malchiah,