Er in Fausset's Bible Dictionary
1. Firstborn of Judah, by Bathshua, a Canaanite; the
marriage with this daughter of a corrupt race producing sin
and sorrow. Tamar was his wife but bore him no son; for "Er
was wicked in the sight of the Lord, and the Lord slew him,"
his sin being probably some abomination connected with the
impure Canaanite idolatry (Genesis 38:3-7). Genesis 38:2. 1
3. Genesis 46:16.
4. Luke 3:28.
Er in Naves Topical Bible
1. Son of Judah
Ge 38:3,6,7; 46:12; Nu 26:19; 1Ch 2:3
-2. A son of Shelah
-3. An ancestor of, Jesus
Er in Smiths Bible Dictionary
1. First-born of Judah. Er "was wicked in the sight of
the Lord; and the Lord slew him." Ge 38:3-7; Nu 26:19
2. Descendant of Shelah the son of Judah. 1Ch 4:21
3. Son of Jose and father of Elmodam. Lu 3:28
Er in the Bible Encyclopedia - ISBE
ar (`er, "watcher"; Er'):
(1) The eldest son of Judah, the son of Jacob, by Shua the
Canaanite. Judah took for him a wife named Tamar. It is
recorded that Er "was wicked in the sight of Yahweh; and
Yahweh slew him" (Gen 38:3,6,7; 46:12).
(2) "Er the father of Lecah" is mentioned among "the sons of
Shelah the son of Judah" (1 Ch 4:21).
(3) An ancestor of Jesus in Luke's genealogy in the 7th
generation before Zerubbabel (Lk 3:28).