Delaiah in Easton's Bible Dictionary
freed by Jehovah. (1.) The head of the twenty-third division
the priestly order (1 Chr. 24:18).
(2.) A son of Shemaiah, and one of the courtiers to
Jeremiah's first roll of prophecy was read (Jer.
(3.) The head of one of the bands of exiles that
under Zerubbabel to Jerusalem (Ezra 2:60; Neh. 7:62).
Delaiah in Fausset's Bible Dictionary
("Jehovah's freedman"); the modern Godfrey.
1. 1 Chronicles 24:18.
2. Ezra 2:60; Nehemiah 7:62; Nehemiah 7:64.
3. Nehemiah 6:10.
4. Interceded that king Jehoiakim would not burn
Jeremiah's prophetic roll, but in vain (Jeremiah 36:12;
Delaiah in Hitchcock's Bible Names
the poor of the Lord
Delaiah in Naves Topical Bible
1. Head of the twenty-third division of the priestly order
-2. A prince of Judah
-3. A progenitor of certain Babylonish captives
Ezr 2:60; Ne 7:62
-4. Father of a false prophet
-5. A descendant of the loyal line of Judah
Also called DALAIAH
Delaiah in Smiths Bible Dictionary
(freed by Jehovah).
1. A priest in the time of David, leader of the
twenty-third course of priests. 1Ch 24:18 (B.C. 1014.)
2. "Children of Delaiah" were among the people of
uncertain pedigree who returned from Babylon with Zerubbabel.
Ezr 2:60; Ne 7:62 (B.C. 536.)
3. Son of Mehetabeel and father of Shemaiah. Ne 6:10
(B.C. before 410.)
4. Son of Shemaiah, one of the "princes" about the
court of Jehoiakim. Jer 36:12,25 (B.C. 604.)
Delaiah in the Bible Encyclopedia - ISBE
de-la'-ya (delayah, "God has raised"):
(1) A descendant of David (1 Ch 3:24; the King James Version
(2) One of David's priests and leader of the 23rd course (1 Ch
(3) One of the princes who pleaded with Jehoiakim not to
destroy the roll containing the prophecies of Jeremiah (Jer
(4) The ancestor of a post-exilic family whose genealogy was
lost (Ezr 2:60; Neh 7:62; 1 Esdras 5:37 margin).
(5) The father of timorous Shemaiah (Neh 6:10).
Delaiah in Wikipedia
is the name of several Biblical persons:
Son of Shemaiah, and officer to King Jehoiakim of Judah. He
was one of the officers present at the delivery of a scroll
sent by Jeremiah, (Jer. 36:12 ) and one of those who asked the
king not to burn the scroll. (ibid. 36:25 )
Son of Elioenai, a descendant of the royal Davidic line
through Jeconiah. (I Chr. 3:24 )
The head of a family that came up from the Babylonian exile
with Zerubbabel, that was unable to give its ancestral
genealogy. (Ezr. 2:60 , Neh. 7:62 )
Son of Mehetabel and father of Shemaiah. (Neh. 6:10 ) He is
probably identical to the previous entry.
Delaiah Scripture - 1 Chronicles 24:18
The three and twentieth to Delaiah, the four and twentieth to
Delaiah Scripture - Ezra 2:60
The children of Delaiah, the children of Tobiah, the children
of Nekoda, six hundred fifty and two.
Delaiah Scripture - Nehemiah 6:10
Afterward I came unto the house of Shemaiah the son of Delaiah
the son of Mehetabeel, who [was] shut up; and he said, Let us
meet together in the house of God, within the temple, and let
us shut the doors of the temple: for they will come to slay
thee; yea, in the night will they come to slay thee.