International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
mat-a-ni'-a (mattanyaha, "gift of Yah"):
(1) King Zedekiah's original name, but changed by Nebuchadnezzar when he made him king over Judah instead of his nephew Jehoiachin (2 Ki 24:17).
(2) A descendant of Asaph (1 Ch 9:15), leader of the temple choir (Neh 11:17; 12:8). Mentioned among the "porters," keepers of "the storehouses of the gates" (Neh 12:25), and again in Neh 12:35 as among the "priests' sons with trumpets."
(3) May be the same as (2), though in 2 Ch 20:14 he is mentioned as an ancestor of that Jahaziel whose inspired words in the midst of the congregation encouraged Jehoshaphat to withstand the invasion of Moab, Ammon and Seir (20:14 ff).
(4-7) Four others who had foreign wives, (a) the Matthanias of 1 Esdras 9:27 (Ezr 10:26); (b) the Othonias of 1 Esdras 9:28 (Ezr 10:27); (c) the Matthanias of 1 Esdras 9:31 (Ezr 10:30); (d) the fourth of these in 1 Esdras 9:34 the King James Version has had his name blended into that of Mattenai, and the two appear as the composite name Mamnitanemus (Ezr 10:37). He is a son of Bani.
(8) A Levite, father of Zaccur, ancestor of Hanan the under-treasurer of the Levitical offerings under Nehemiah (Neh 13:13).
(9) One of the sons of Heman the singer, whose office it was to blow the horns in the temple-service as David had appointed it (1 Ch 25:4,5). He was head of the 9th division of the 12 Levites (1 Ch 25:16), who were proficient in the Songs of Yahweh (1 Ch 25:7).
(10) One of the sons of Asaph who helped Hezekiah in the fulfilling of his vow to cleanse the house of the Lord (2 Ch 29:13).
Orr, James, M.A., D.D. General Editor. "Definition for 'mattaniah'". "International Standard Bible Encyclopedia". bible-history.com - ISBE
; 1915.Copyright Information
© International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (ISBE)
ISBE Bible Encyclopedia Home
Bible History Online Home
Bible Encyclopedia (ISBE)
Online Bible (KJV)
Naves Topical Bible
Smith's Bible Dictionary
Easton's Bible Dictionary
Schaff's Bible Dictionary
Fausset's Bible Dictionary
Matthew Henry Bible Commentary
Hitchcock's Bible Dictionary
Related Bible History