Bible History Online
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
(1) The usual word is nahar (Aramaic nehar (Ezr 4:10, etc.)), used of the rivers of Eden (Gen 2:10-14), often of the Euphrates (Gen 15:18, etc.), of Abana and Pharpar (2 Ki 5:12), the river of Gozan (2 Ki 17:6), the river Chebar (Ezek 1:1), the rivers (canals?) of Babylon (Ps 137:1), the rivers of Ethiopia (Isa 18:1; Zeph 3:10). Compare nahr, the common Arabic word for "river."
(2) ye'or, according to BDB from Egyptian iotr, 'io'r, "watercourse," often of the Nile (Ex 1:22, etc.). In Isa 19:6, for ye'ore matsor, the King James Version "brooks of defense," the Revised Version (British and American) has "streams of Egypt." In Isa 19:7,8, for ye'or, the King James Version "brooks," and Zec 10:11, the King James Version "river," the Revised Version (British and American) has "Nile." In Job 28:10, the King James Version "He cutteth out rivers among the rocks," the Revised Version (British and American) has "channels," the Revised Version margin "passages."
(3) There are nearly 100 references to nachal. In about half of these the King James Version has "brook" and in about half "river." the Revised Version (British and American) has more often "brook" or "valley." But the Revised Version (British and American) has river in "whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers" (Lev 11:9); "the river Jabbok" (Dt 2:37; Josh 12:2); the stream issuing from the temple (Ezek 47:5-12). the Revised Version (British and American) has "brook of Egypt," i.e. el-`Arish (Nu 34:5; Josh 15:47; 1 Ki 8:65; 2 Ki 24:7; 2 Ch 7:8; Am 6:14, "of the Arabah"); "brook (the King James Version "river") of Kanah" (Josh 16:8); "valley (the King James Version "river") of the Arnon" (Dt 2:24). English Versions of the Bible has "valley": of Gerar (Gen 26:17), of Zered (Nu 21:12), but "brook Zered" (Dt 2:13), of Eschol (Nu 32:9), of Sorek (Jdg 16:4), of Shittim (Joel 3:18). English Versions of the Bible has "brook": Besor (1 Sam 30:10), Kidron (2 Sam 15:23), Gaash, (2 Sam 23:30), Cherith (1 Ki 17:3); also the feminine nachalah, "brook (the King James Version "river") of Egypt" (Ezek 47:19; 48:28). The torrent-valley (wady) is often meant.
(4) pelegh, with feminine pelaggah, the King James Version "river," is in the Revised Version (British and American) translated "stream," except English Versions of the Bible "river of God" (Ps 65:9); "streams of water" (Ps 1:3; Prov 5:16; Isa 32:2; Lam 3:48); "streams of honey" (Job 20:17); "streams of oil" (Job 29:6).
(5) 'aphiq, the King James Version "river," except English Versions of the Bible "water brooks" (Ps 42:1), is in the Revised Version (British and American) "watercourses" (Ezek 6:3; 31:12; 32:6; 34:13; 35:8; 36:4,6), "water-brooks" (Song 5:12; Joel 1:20).
(6) yubhal, English Versions of the Bible "river" (Jer 17:8). 'ubhal, and 'ubhal, English Versions of the Bible "river" (Dan 8:2,3,6).
(7) potamos: of the Jordan (Mk 1:5); Euphrates (Rev 9:14); "rivers of living water" (Jn 7:38); "river of water of life" (Rev 22:1). So always in Greek for "river" in the Revised Version (British and American) Apocrypha (1 Esdras 4:23, etc.).
See BROOK; STREAM; VALLEY.
Alfred Ely Day
Orr, James, M.A., D.D. General Editor. "Definition for 'RIVER'". "International Standard Bible Encyclopedia". bible-history.com - ISBE
; 1915.Copyright Information
© International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (ISBE)
ISBE Bible Encyclopedia Home
Bible History Online Home
Bible Encyclopedia (ISBE)
Online Bible (KJV)
Naves Topical Bible
Smith's Bible Dictionary
Easton's Bible Dictionary
Schaff's Bible Dictionary
Fausset's Bible Dictionary
Matthew Henry Bible Commentary
Hitchcock's Bible Dictionary
Related Bible History
Popular and Trending:
Meaning of the name
Alexander, Alexander the Great, Alexander the Coppersmith,
Syria and Bible Prophecy,
Bible Study about Syria, What the Bible Says about Syria and Damascus, Isaiah 17,
The Bible and Palm
Trees, Bible Study about the Palm Tree, The Righteous Will Flourish like a Palm
Tree Psalm 92:12,
Definition of Paraclete, Bible study about the Holy Spirit and the Paraclete,
Paracletus in the Greek,
Games in the Bible, What
Games Did Kids Play in Biblical Times? Which Kinds of Games Existed in the Time
of Jesus?, The
Church at Thyatira, What Was the Message to Thyatira, Revelation 2 and Thyatira,
history of Thyatira,
David and Goliath, How Tall Was Goliath, Archaeological Discoveries and Goliath,
Goliath And Philistine History,
Who Was Titus in the Bible,
Paul's Letter to Titus, Bible Study Lessons in Titus,
Meaning of the Name
Tanner, Bible Study about Simon the Tanner, Acts 10:6 Peter Was Staying at the
House of Simon the Tanner, What Was a Tanner