Bible History Online
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
hil-ki'-a (chilqiyah, "Yah is my portion" or "Yah's portion"): The name of 8 individuals in the Old Testament or 7, if the person mentioned in Neh 12:7,21 was the same who stood with Ezra at the reading of the Law (Neh 8:4). The latter appears as Ezecias (the King James Version) in 1 Esdras 9:43. Five of this name are clearly associated with the priesthood, and the others are presumably so. The etymology suggests this. Either interpretation of the name expresses the person's claim on Yahweh or the parents' recognition of Yahweh's claim on him.
(1) The person mentioned above (Neh 8:4, etc.).
(2) A Levite of the sons of Merari (1 Ch 6:45).
(3) Another Levite of Merari, son of Hosah (1 Ch 26:11). Is he the "porter," i.e. "doorkeeper" of 1 Ch 16:38?
(4) Father of the Gemariah whom Zedekiah of Judah sent to Nebuchadnezzar (Jer 29:3).
(5) The man in 2 Ki 18:18 ff who is evidently more famous as the father of Eliakim, the majordomo of Hezekiah's palace (Isa 22:20 ff; 36:3 ff). Probably the father's name is given in this and similar cases to distinguish between two persons of otherwise identical name.
(6) A priest of Anathoth, father of Jeremiah (Jer 1:1).
(7) The son of Shallum, and the best known of the name (1 Ch 6:13). He is great-grandfather of Ezra through his son Azariah (1 Esdras 8:1; compare 1 Ch 9:11; Neh 11:11). He discovered the lost Book of the Law during the repairing of the Temple (2 Ki 22:4,8 ff); became chief leader in the ensuing reformation in 621 BC (2 Ki 23:4; 2 Ch 34:9 ff; 35:8). He showed the recovered book to Shaphan the scribe, who, in turn, brought it to the notice of the king. At Josiah's request he led a deputation to Huldah the prophetess to "inquire of the Lord" concerning the new situation created by the discovery. The book discovered is usually identified with the Book of Deuteronomy.
Orr, James, M.A., D.D. General Editor. "Definition for 'HILKIAH'". "International Standard Bible Encyclopedia". bible-history.com - ISBE
; 1915.Copyright Information
© International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (ISBE)
ISBE Bible Encyclopedia Home
Bible History Online Home
Bible Encyclopedia (ISBE)
Online Bible (KJV)
Naves Topical Bible
Smith's Bible Dictionary
Easton's Bible Dictionary
Schaff's Bible Dictionary
Fausset's Bible Dictionary
Matthew Henry Bible Commentary
Hitchcock's Bible Dictionary
Related Bible History
Popular and Trending:
Meaning of the name
Alexander, Alexander the Great, Alexander the Coppersmith,
Syria and Bible Prophecy,
Bible Study about Syria, What the Bible Says about Syria and Damascus, Isaiah 17,
The Bible and Palm
Trees, Bible Study about the Palm Tree, The Righteous Will Flourish like a Palm
Tree Psalm 92:12,
Definition of Paraclete, Bible study about the Holy Spirit and the Paraclete,
Paracletus in the Greek,
Games in the Bible, What
Games Did Kids Play in Biblical Times? Which Kinds of Games Existed in the Time
of Jesus?, The
Church at Thyatira, What Was the Message to Thyatira, Revelation 2 and Thyatira,
history of Thyatira,
David and Goliath, How Tall Was Goliath, Archaeological Discoveries and Goliath,
Goliath And Philistine History,
Who Was Titus in the Bible,
Paul's Letter to Titus, Bible Study Lessons in Titus,
Meaning of the Name
Tanner, Bible Study about Simon the Tanner, Acts 10:6 Peter Was Staying at the
House of Simon the Tanner, What Was a Tanner