Bible History Online
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
bransh: Represented by very many words in the Hebrew.
(1) zemorah used especially of a vine branch. The spies "cut down from thence a branch with one cluster of grapes" (Nu 13:23). See also Ezek 15:2; Nah 2:2. "They put the branch to their nose" (Ezek 8:17), refers to some unknown idolatrous practice, as does also Isa 17:10, "thou plantest pleasant plants, and settest it with strange slips," or "vine slips of a strange (god)" the Revised Version, margin.
(2) yoneqeth, literally "a sucker." "The tender branch thereof will not cease" (Job 14:7). Used figuratively of Israel, Ps 80:11 (the Revised Version (British and American) "shoots"); Ezek 17:22 the King James Version; Hos 14:6, and of the wicked, Job 8:16 (the Revised Version (British and American) "shoots"), 15:30.
(3) kippah, Job 15:32. Isa 9:14; 19:15, the Revised Version (British and American) has "palm-branch," "Therefore Yahweh will cut off from Israel head and tail, palm-branch and rush, in one day" (9:14).
(4) netser (of the same Hebrew root, according to many commentators, as Nazareth), literally "a little shoot springing from the root" ("out of a shoot from her roots," Dan 11:7), which may be planted out to grow (Isa 11:1; 60:21), or may be rooted out and thrown away (Isa 14:19).
(5) tsemach. The "branch" of Messianic prophecy. See PROPHECY. "In that day shall the branch (m "shoot" or "sprout") of Yahweh be beautiful and glorious" (Isa 4:2); "a shoot out of the stock of Jesse" (Isa 11:1); "a righteous branch" (Jer 23:5; 33:15): "my servant the Branch" (Zec 3:8); "the man whose name is the Branch" (Zec 6:12).
(6) qanah, is used for the "branches" of the golden candlesticks (Ex 25:32; 37:18 ff). Literally, qanah means a "reed."
There are a number of words, less frequently used, meaning "branch":
(7) baddim (plural only used; Ezek 17:6; 19:14).
(8) dalith (plural only used; Jer 11:16).
(9) maTTeh (Ezek 19:11).
(10) ca`iph (Isa 18:5; ce`appah (plural) (Ezek 31:6); car`appah (Ezek 31:5).
(11) `anaph (Mal 4:1; Ps 80:11); `anaph (Dan 4:14,21); `eneph (Ezek 36:8).
(12) pu'rah, "a bough" (Isa 10:33); po'roth (pl. only) (Ezek 31:5,8).
(13) tsammereth, "foliage" or "boughs of trees," literally "locks" or "fleece" of trees (Ezek 17:3; 31:3).
(14) qatsir (collective) (Job 14:9), "boughs" (Ps 80:11), "branches."
(15) shibbeleth, the two olive branches of Zec 4:12.
(16) soqch, root meaning "to interweave" (Jdg 9:49); sokhah (Jdg 9:48), "boughs."
(17) sarigh (pl. only, sarighim), "branches" (of the vine) (Gen 40:10; Joel 1:7).
Represented in Greek in the New Testament:
(1) baion (Jn 12:13), "a palm branch."
(2) klados (Mt 13:32; 21:8; 24:32; Mk 4:32; 13:28; Lk 13:19; Rom 11:16,17,18,19,21).
(3) klema, a slip or cutting of the vine, especially one cut off to be grafted into another plant (Jn 15:2,4,5,6).
(4) stibos (= stoibas), a "twig" or "bough" (Mk 11:8).
E. W. G. Masterman
Orr, James, M.A., D.D. General Editor. "Definition for 'BRANCH ;BOUGH'". "International Standard Bible Encyclopedia". bible-history.com - ISBE
; 1915.Copyright Information
© International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (ISBE)
ISBE Bible Encyclopedia Home
Bible History Online Home
Bible Encyclopedia (ISBE)
Online Bible (KJV)
Naves Topical Bible
Smith's Bible Dictionary
Easton's Bible Dictionary
Schaff's Bible Dictionary
Fausset's Bible Dictionary
Matthew Henry Bible Commentary
Hitchcock's Bible Dictionary
Related Bible History
Popular and Trending:
Meaning of the name
Alexander, Alexander the Great, Alexander the Coppersmith,
Syria and Bible Prophecy,
Bible Study about Syria, What the Bible Says about Syria and Damascus, Isaiah 17,
The Bible and Palm
Trees, Bible Study about the Palm Tree, The Righteous Will Flourish like a Palm
Tree Psalm 92:12,
Definition of Paraclete, Bible study about the Holy Spirit and the Paraclete,
Paracletus in the Greek,
Games in the Bible, What
Games Did Kids Play in Biblical Times? Which Kinds of Games Existed in the Time
of Jesus?, The
Church at Thyatira, What Was the Message to Thyatira, Revelation 2 and Thyatira,
history of Thyatira,
David and Goliath, How Tall Was Goliath, Archaeological Discoveries and Goliath,
Goliath And Philistine History,
Who Was Titus in the Bible,
Paul's Letter to Titus, Bible Study Lessons in Titus,
Meaning of the Name
Tanner, Bible Study about Simon the Tanner, Acts 10:6 Peter Was Staying at the
House of Simon the Tanner, What Was a Tanner