1. Son of Korah, son of Izhar, son of Kohath, son of Levi (Exodus 6:24); compare 1 Chronicles 6:22-23, where an Elkanah is mentioned, grandson of Korah. "The children of Korah died not" when he was consumed (Numbers 26:11).
2. A descendant of the previous Elkanah, in the line of Ahimoth or Mahath (1 Chronicles 6:26; 1 Chronicles 6:35).
3. Another Kohathite in Heman's line, father of Samuel by Hannah (1 Chronicles 6:27; 1 Chronicles 6:34; 1 Chronicles 6:1 Samuel 1-2). Lived at Ramathaim Zophim, or Ramah, in mount Ephraim. Piously repaired yearly to Shiloh to sacrifice at the tabernacle. His costly offering of three bullocks at Samuel's dedication, and the "portions" of offerings which he gave to his family, indicate wealth. David first established the Levitical and priestly courses in the temple; hence Elkanah does not appear to have performed any sacred function as a Levite.
4. A Levite (1 Chronicles 9:16).
5. A Korhite who joined David at Ziklag (1 Chronicles 12:6, compare 1 Chronicles 15:23).
6. King Ahaz' officer next to himself, slain by Zichri, a mighty Ephraimite, at Pekah's invasion (2 Chronicles 28:7).
Bible Encyclopedia (ISBE)
Online Bible (KJV)
Naves Topical Bible
Smith's Bible Dictionary
Easton's Bible Dictionary
Schaff's Bible Dictionary
Fausset's Bible Dictionary
Matthew Henry Bible Commentary
Hitchcock's Bible Dictionary
Related Bible History
Meaning and definition of fasting, what is fasting in the bible, fasting definition, why should I fast, the power of prayer and fasting, Location of Galilee, where was galilee in the bible?, fasting definition, Galilee region, cities of Galilee, Sea of Galilee, Definition of biblical fire, what is fire in the bible?, fire and brimstone, fire meaning, baking bread with fire, Definition of the biblical firmament in Genesis, what is the firmament in the bible?, was the firmament the third heaven, firmament meaning, did the firmament bring the flood of Noah?.