("whom Jehovah builds up".) Son of Jehoiada, the chief priest (1 Chronicles 27:5), so of the tribe of Levi, though of Kabzeel in S. Judah (2 Samuel 23:20; 1 Chronicles 11:22; 1 Chronicles 11:25; 1 Chronicles 18:17; 1 Chronicles 27:6); set over David's body guard, the Cherethites and Pelethites (2 Samuel 8:18; 2 Samuel 20:23; 2 Samuel 23:20; 2 Samuel 23:22-23; 1 Kings 1:38). Midway between the first three of "the mighty men" (gibborim), and the 30 "valiant men of the armies." "Mighty among the 30, and above the 30."
He earned his position by slaying "two lion-like men of Moab," and "a lion in a pit in a snowy day," and "an Egyptian of great stature, a goodly man (2 Samuel 23:21), five cubits high," out of whose hand he plucked the spear like a weaver's beam, "and slew him with his own spear" (1 Chronicles 11:22-23). Having remained faithful in Adonijah's rebellion (1 Kings 1:8; 1 Kings 1:10; 1 Kings 1:32-38; 1 Kings 1:44), and having by Solomon's command slain him and Joab, he was promoted to the latter's post as commander in chief (1 Kings 2:25; 1 Kings 2:34-35; 1 Kings 4:4). Jehoiada, father of Benaiah, was next after Ahithophel in David's court (1 Chronicles 27:34). Eight others of the name are mentioned.
1. One of David's 30 "valiant men of the armies," the Pirathonite, an Ephraimite, captain of the 11th monthly course (2 Samuel 23:30; 1 Chronicles 11:31; 1 Chronicles 27:14).
2. A Levite of David's time who "played with a psaltery on alamoth" (1 Chronicles 15:18-20; 1 Chronicles 16:5).
3. A priest in David's time who blew the trumpet before the ark (1 Chronicles 15:24; 1 Chronicles 16:6).
4. A Levite of the sons of Asaph (2 Chronicles 20:14).
5. A Levite overseer of offerings, under Hezekiah (2 Chronicles 31:13).
6. A prince in the family of Simeon (1 Chronicles 4:36).
7. Four who took strange wives (Ezra 10:25; Ezra 10:30; Ezra 10:35; Ezra 10:43).
8. Father of Pelatiah, a prince of the people, who gave presumptuous counsel against Ezekiel's inspired warnings, and was visited with death (Ezekiel 11).
Bible Encyclopedia (ISBE)
Online Bible (KJV)
Naves Topical Bible
Smith's Bible Dictionary
Easton's Bible Dictionary
Schaff's Bible Dictionary
Fausset's Bible Dictionary
Matthew Henry Bible Commentary
Hitchcock's Bible Dictionary
Related Bible History
Meaning and definition of fasting, what is fasting in the bible, fasting definition, why should I fast, the power of prayer and fasting, Location of Galilee, where was galilee in the bible?, fasting definition, Galilee region, cities of Galilee, Sea of Galilee, Definition of biblical fire, what is fire in the bible?, fire and brimstone, fire meaning, baking bread with fire, Definition of the biblical firmament in Genesis, what is the firmament in the bible?, was the firmament the third heaven, firmament meaning, did the firmament bring the flood of Noah?.