Ancient Near East
Images & Art
Maps & Geography
Mythology & Beliefs
People in History
Timelines & Charts
Mal 3:1 "Behold, I send My messenger, and he will prepare the way before Me. And the Lord, whom you seek, will suddenly come to His temple, even the Messenger of the covenant, in whom you delight. Behold, He is coming," says the LORD of hosts.
Matt 21:12-13 "Then Jesus went into the temple of God and drove out all those who bought and sold in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who sold doves. And He said to them, "It is written, `MY HOUSE SHALL BE CALLED A HOUSE OF PRAYER'; but you are making it a ROBBERS' DEN."
- Yahweh Himself will suddenly come to His temple (as a thief, unexpectedly).
- The word suddenly gives the imagery of catching up to and overtaking His forerunner.
- When it says "His temple" it corresponds with when Jesus said "My house."
- Says "The LORD of Hosts" is the Hebrew name for God - Jehovah Sabaoth, the Lord of the armies of heaven will accomplish this.
- The Trinity is clearly seen in this passage.
- "My messenger" is the forerunner John the Baptist who will prepare the way for the greater Messenger, Yahweh Himself who is Jesus.
- The other verse where the messenger prepares the way for the Messiah is Isaiah 40:3.
- To "prepare the way" speaks of clearing away any impediments lying in the road (Delitzsch).
- By needing a messenger to come and prepare the way implies that the nation of Israel in its present moral condition was not ready to receive the Lord.
- The covenant was first established with Abraham, that "in him (seed) all the nations of the earth will be blessed."
- "Behold, He is coming" was a wake up call by the last O.T. Jewish prophet to be expecting Messiah.
- The Lord (Adon or sovereign Master) "Whom you seek" speaks of a longing for His return and His right of redemption as Adon.
- The Messenger "in whom you delight" is the altogether lovely One, the desire of all nations (Hag 2:7).
- His coming is certain and He will not tarry, all eyes should be set on that.
Messianic Prophecy Audio Series with Shahar
Would Enter the Temple with Authority - Malachi 3:1 - (MP3 File) (right click and choose "save target as")
Seed of the Woman
Seed of Abraham
Tribe of Judah
Star of Jacob
Seed of David
Prophet like Moses
Son of God
Resurrected from the Dead
Betrayed by a Friend
Ascend into Heaven
Priest like Melchizedek
Seated at God's Right Hand
Born of a Virgin
Minister in Galilee
Meek and Humble Man
Savior to the Gentiles
He will be Beaten
Establishes a New Covenant
Will have Two Missions
Will Perform Miracles
Will be Jehovah
Born in Bethlehem
Will Come to the Temple
Enter Jerusalem on Donkey
He will be Pierced
Forsaken by His Disciples
Victory over Death
Date of his Death Predicted
Isaiah 52:7 - How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!
Chart of Some Messianic Prophecies in the Old Testament
Here is a list of some of the prophecies about Jesus, the Jewish Messiah. First the topic, then the Old Testament prediction, and the New Testament fulfillment. I have included some comments at the bottom of each section and some brief audio commentary by Shahar.
Messianic Prophecy Series on Audio
(Download Instructions: Right click and choose "save target as")
(Next: You can use the main image above to follow each prophecy in text and audio)
The Story of the Bible
© Bible History Online (http://www.bible-history.com)