Ancient Near East
Images & Art
Maps & Geography
Mythology & Beliefs
People in History
Timelines & Charts
Zech 9:9 "Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion! Shout, O daughter of Jerusalem! Behold, your King is coming to you; he is just and having salvation, lowly and riding on a donkey, a colt, the foal of a donkey.
Matt 21:2-3 saying to them, "Go into the village opposite you, and immediately you will find a donkey tied, and a colt with her. Loose them and bring them to Me. "And if anyone says anything to you, you shall say, `The Lord has need of them,' and immediately he will send them."
- Messiah will enter Jerusalem in great humility, on a donkey (the symbol of humility). The opposite of worldly power and self exaltation.
- Riding a donkey was a sign of the lowly character of Christ, since it was a despised thing to be seen riding on a donkey, put below the horse-rider.
- This was in contrast to the Grecian conqueror, Alexander the Great, in all his pomp and glory.
- Why were they to rejoice greatly and to shout? because "Behold, your King is coming to you"
- Daughter of Zion and daughter of Jerusalem both speak of Jerusalem and the people of God.
- To be "Just" was the first virtue of a good king.
- "Having salvation" speaks of being endowed with salvation (Heb. yesha), this word speaks of liberty, deliverance, prosperity, safety and salvation.
- The colt was an unbroken animal. It describes the ass of a young animal, but still running behind the she-asses made it even younger.
- "al-chamor we'al-'ayir ben-'athonoth" means literally, "on an ass, and on an ass's colt, the son of the wild-asses".
- War-chariots and horses speak of earthly (worldly) power.
- Kings, high priests, judges, and the richest people of ancient and modern times have ridden on donkeys.
- Donkeys were considered beautiful, strong, swift, surefooted and a beast of burden.
- Donkeys carry burdens of greater weight in proportion to their size than any other animal. They bear the burdens that we lay upon them.
- Donkey colts (Heb. Ayir) are also called foals, young donkeys, and colts in
- The Talmud states: "For the ass is not a more peaceful animal than the horse, but a more vicious one" (Kliefoth), therefore the ass was more of a symbol of lowliness than of peace.
Messianic Prophecy Audio Series with Shahar
Seed of the Woman
Seed of Abraham
Tribe of Judah
Star of Jacob
Seed of David
Prophet like Moses
Son of God
Resurrected from the Dead
Betrayed by a Friend
Ascend into Heaven
Priest like Melchizedek
Seated at God's Right Hand
Born of a Virgin
Minister in Galilee
Meek and Humble Man
Savior to the Gentiles
He will be Beaten
Establishes a New Covenant
Will have Two Missions
Will Perform Miracles
Will be Jehovah
Born in Bethlehem
Will Come to the Temple
Enter Jerusalem on Donkey
He will be Pierced
Forsaken by His Disciples
Victory over Death
Date of his Death Predicted
Isaiah 52:7 - How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!
Chart of Some Messianic Prophecies in the Old Testament
Here is a list of some of the prophecies about Jesus, the Jewish Messiah. First the topic, then the Old Testament prediction, and the New Testament fulfillment. I have included some comments at the bottom of each section and some brief audio commentary by Shahar.
Messianic Prophecy Series on Audio
(Download Instructions: Right click and choose "save target as")
(Next: You can use the main image above to follow each prophecy in text and audio)
The Story of the Bible
© Bible History Online (http://www.bible-history.com)