The Son of God
The Messiah will be the Son of God.
Psalm 2:7 "I will declare the decree: the LORD has said to Me, `You are My Son, today I have begotten You.
Proverbs 30:4 Who has ascended into heaven, or descended? Who has gathered the wind in His fists? Who has bound the waters in a garment? Who has established all the ends of the earth? What is His name, and what is His Son's name, if you know?Matt 3:17 And suddenly a voice came from heaven, saying, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."
Luke 9:35 - And there came a voice out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him.
Key Points:- Many of the Psalms have references to Christ, and clearly speak of Jesus.
- David was speaking by the Holy Spirit when he said this.- The prophecy was declared as God's decree.
- "You are My Son" refers to the Messiah as the Son of God.- This phrase is applied to Jesus at his baptism (Mark 1:11)
- In the Hebrew the word "Son" was a common designation for the Messiah.- It is very clear that in Jewish circles Messiah would be referred to as the Son of God.
- "today I have begotten you" speaks of His resurrection and preeminence.- The term, begotten, is part of an Oriental formula for adoption used in the Code of Hammurabi.
- Proverbs 30:4 reinforces the concept that the "Son" would have a name. "Ascending into heaven" and descending was also referred to in the New Testament in relation to Jesus.- At the Transfiguration God the Father calls Jesus the Son of God... "This is My Son, Hear ye Him."
Messianic ProphecyMessianic Prophecy is the study of ancient Jewish (Old Testament) prophecies and predictions regarding the Messiah or "Anointed One". Bible History Online offers a Messianic Prophecy Audio Series with commentary.
Isaiah 52:7 - How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!
Chart of Some Messianic Prophecies in the Old Testament
Here is a list of some of the prophecies about Jesus, the Jewish Messiah. First the topic, then the Old Testament prediction, and the New Testament fulfillment. I have included some comments at the bottom of each section and some brief audio commentary by Shahar.
Messianic Prophecy Series on Audio
(Download Instructions: Right click and choose "save target as")
(Next: You can use the main image above to follow each prophecy in text and audio)
The Story of the Bible
Seed of the Woman