The Seed of the Woman
The Messiah will be the offspring of the woman, and will defeat Satan on the cross.
Genesis 3:15 And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her Seed; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise His heel."
Gal 4:4 But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law,Rom 16:19-20 And the God of peace will crush Satan under your feet shortly.
Key Points:- This was the curse upon the serpent.
- This was the first clear prophecy of a coming redeemer.- The use of "He" reveals that one person is meant.
- The word "seed" speaks of offspring or descendant.- Only one descendant of Eve was born of a woman and not a man.
- The word "enmity" speaks of warfare.- Satanís seed is fallen man.
- Bruising the head speaks of crushing oneís authority.- Christís heal was bruised when He was crucified.
- Satanís head was crushed when Jesus was crucified.- Ancient Rabbinic Judaism regarded this passage as Messianic (Targum Pseudo-Jonathan and the so-called Jerusalem Targum.
- Targum Pseudo-Jonathan: "And it shall be that when the sons of the woman study the Torah diligently and obey its injunctions, they will direct themselves to smite you on the head and slay you; but when the sons of the woman forsake the commandments of the Torah and do not obey its injunctions, you will direct yourself to bite them on the heel and afflict them. However, there will be a remedy for the sons of the woman, but for you, serpent, there will be no remedy. They shall make peace with one another in the end, in the very end of days, in the days of the King Messiah."
Messianic ProphecyMessianic Prophecy is the study of ancient Jewish (Old Testament) prophecies and predictions regarding the Messiah or "Anointed One". Bible History Online offers a Messianic Prophecy Audio Series with commentary.
Isaiah 52:7 - How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!
Chart of Some Messianic Prophecies in the Old Testament
Here is a list of some of the prophecies about Jesus, the Jewish Messiah. First the topic, then the Old Testament prediction, and the New Testament fulfillment. I have included some comments at the bottom of each section and some brief audio commentary by Shahar.
Messianic Prophecy Series on Audio
(Download Instructions: Right click and choose "save target as")
(Next: You can use the main image above to follow each prophecy in text and audio)
The Story of the Bible
Seed of the Woman