Ancient Near East
Images & Art
Maps & Geography
Mythology & Beliefs
People in History
Timelines & Charts
Psalm 118:22-23 The stone which the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone. This was the LORD'S doing; it is marvelous in our eyes.
Isaiah 28:16 Therefore thus says the Lord GOD: "Behold, I lay in Zion a stone for a foundation, a tried stone, a precious cornerstone, a sure foundation; whoever believes will not act hastily.Matt 21:42-43 Jesus said to them, "Have you never read in the Scriptures: `The stone which the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone. This was the Lord's doing, and it is marvelous in our eyes'? "Therefore I say to you, the kingdom of God will be taken from you and given to a nation bearing the fruits of it.
- The "stone" is the Messiah, the "builders" are the Jews.- The Jews forced Pilate’s hand in crucifying Jesus.
- The rejection of the Jewish Messiah by His own countrymen was the Lord’ doing, and it was planned before the foundation of the world.- In ancient times the cornerstone was the stone at the corner of two walls that united them. It was the visible corner of the foundation of the building and the starting point of all future building above the foundation. It was the most costly stone because of its beauty and strength. It was also the largest, most solid and carefully constructed stone.
- To cast aside the cornerstone would be to resist any future building on that foundation.- The Cornerstone was the place where the building was joined and also the place where it rested.
- Jesus was not only the Cornerstone but the "chief" (highest) Cornerstone.- The stone is mentioned in the Book of Daniel as cut out of the mountains without hands and broken in pieces consuming all kingdoms and becomes a mountain that fills the whole earth.
- The new temple will exceed the former temple in its glory (Hag 2:9).- In 1 Peter 2:4-10 the apostle Peter gives detail concerning Jesus as the stone.
- In Romans 9:32-33 Paul the apostle speaks about Jesus as the stone.- The Hallel Psalms (Ps 113-118) also known as "Hallel" were sung at various festivals.
- These words were sung by the Jews on the feast of tabernacles, when carrying palm branches in their hands and pouring water on the pavement of the Temple symbolizing Messiah and His kingdom.- This hymn was also sung by the Jewish children when Christ made his public entry into Jerusalem. (Matt 21:9).
- Jesus sung this farewell hymn with His disciples as He left the Passover for Gethsemane.- The place which the rejected Jesus now bears in the church, and the honor bestowed upon Him as the head of the church, and the triumph of His gospel in the world, all testify that it is the work of God and it is marvelous in our eyes.
Messianic Prophecy Audio Series with Shahar
The Rejected Stone Became the Chief Cornerstone - Psalm 118:22-23 and Isaiah 28:16 - (MP3 File) - (MP3 File) (right click and choose "save target as")
Isaiah 52:7 - How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!
Chart of Some Messianic Prophecies in the Old Testament
Here is a list of some of the prophecies about Jesus, the Jewish Messiah. First the topic, then the Old Testament prediction, and the New Testament fulfillment. I have included some comments at the bottom of each section and some brief audio commentary by Shahar.
Messianic Prophecy Series on Audio
(Download Instructions: Right click and choose "save target as")
(Next: You can use the main image above to follow each prophecy in text and audio)
The Story of the Bible
© Bible History Online (http://www.bible-history.com)
Seed of the Woman
Seed of Abraham
Tribe of Judah
Star of Jacob
Seed of David
Prophet like Moses
Son of God
Resurrected from the Dead
Betrayed by a Friend
Ascend into Heaven
Priest like Melchizedek
Seated at God's Right Hand
Born of a Virgin
Minister in Galilee
Meek and Humble Man
Savior to the Gentiles
He will be Beaten
Establishes a New Covenant
Will have Two Missions
Will Perform Miracles
Will be Jehovah
Born in Bethlehem
Will Come to the Temple
Enter Jerusalem on Donkey
He will be Pierced
Forsaken by His Disciples
Victory over Death
Date of his Death Predicted