Ancient Near East
Images & Art
Maps & Geography
Mythology & Beliefs
People in History
Timelines & Charts
Dan 9:26 "And after the sixty-two weeks Messiah shall be cut off...
Luke 23:33-34 And when they had come to the place called Calvary, there they crucified Him, and the criminals, one on the right hand and the other on the left. Then Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do."
Luke 23:44-46 Now it was about the sixth hour, and there was darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour. Then the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was torn in two. And when Jesus had cried out with a loud voice, He said, "Father, 'into Your hands I commit My spirit.'" Having said this, He breathed His last.
- The prophet Daniel predicted the exact day of the Messiah's death.
- According to Daniel chapter 9 there would be 69 (62+7) weeks or sabbatical years (7 year periods) after the proclamation of Artaxerxes Longimanus (ruler of Persia) for the Jews to restore and rebuild Jerusalem and on Passover the Messiah would be "cut off."
- According to history Artaxerxes Longimanus ascended to the throne of the Medo-Persian empire sometime around July of 465 B.C. and uttered the decree on Passover for the Jews to return home to Jerusalem to rebuild their city.
- 69 weeks of years = 476 years or 173,880 days
- The Decree of Artaxerxes: Neh 2:1-8 And it came to pass in the month of Nisan, in the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes, when wine was before him, that I took the wine and gave it to the king. Now I had never been sad in his presence before. Therefore the king said to me, "Why is your face sad, since you are not sick? This is nothing but sorrow of heart." So I became dreadfully afraid, and said to the king, "May the king live forever! Why should my face not be sad, when the city, the place of my fathers' tombs, lies waste, and its gates are burned with fire?" Then the king said to me, "What do you request?" So I prayed to the God of heaven. And I said to the king, "If it pleases the king, and if your servant has found favor in your sight, I ask that you send me to Judah, to the city of my fathers' tombs, that I may rebuild it." Then the king said to me (the queen also sitting beside him), "How long will your journey be? And when will you return?" So it pleased the king to send me; and I set him a time. Furthermore I said to the king, "If it pleases the king, let letters be given to me for the governors of the region beyond the River, that they must permit me to pass through till I come to Judah, and a letter to Asaph the keeper of the king's forest, that he must give me timber to make beams for the gates of the citadel which pertains to the temple, for the city wall, and for the house that I will occupy." And the king granted them to me according to the good hand of my God upon me.
- Daniel also predicted the rise and fall of many world governing empires that would appear after Babylon, namely Persia, then Greece, then Rome, and sometime far into the future (the last days) there would be a second Roman Empire.
- Daniel also spoke of the Kingdom that would ultimately one day rule the world: Dan 7:13-14 "I was watching in the night visions, and behold, One like the Son of Man, coming with the clouds of heaven! He came to the Ancient of Days, and they brought Him near before Him. Then to Him was given dominion and glory and a kingdom, that all peoples, nations, and languages should serve Him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and His kingdom the one which shall not be destroyed."
- There is a sort of parenthesis between the 69th and the 70th week of Daniel, known as the Church Age. At some point the church will be complete and the 70th week of Daniel will begin, which is also known as 7 years of tribulation. The "great tribulation" takes place in the middle of the 70th week of Daniel.
Messianic Prophecy Audio Series with Shahar
The Exact Day of His Death Foretold - Daniel 9:25-26 - (MP3 File) (right click and choose "save target as")
Seed of the Woman
Seed of Abraham
Tribe of Judah
Star of Jacob
Seed of David
Prophet like Moses
Son of God
Resurrected from the Dead
Betrayed by a Friend
Ascend into Heaven
Priest like Melchizedek
Seated at God's Right Hand
Born of a Virgin
Minister in Galilee
Meek and Humble Man
Savior to the Gentiles
He will be Beaten
Establishes a New Covenant
Will have Two Missions
Will Perform Miracles
Will be Jehovah
Born in Bethlehem
Will Come to the Temple
Enter Jerusalem on Donkey
He will be Pierced
Forsaken by His Disciples
Victory over Death
Date of his Death Predicted
Isaiah 52:7 - How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!
Chart of Some Messianic Prophecies in the Old Testament
Here is a list of some of the prophecies about Jesus, the Jewish Messiah. First the topic, then the Old Testament prediction, and the New Testament fulfillment. I have included some comments at the bottom of each section and some brief audio commentary by Shahar.
Messianic Prophecy Series on Audio
(Download Instructions: Right click and choose "save target as")
(Next: You can use the main image above to follow each prophecy in text and audio)
The Story of the Bible
© Bible History Online (http://www.bible-history.com)