Ancient Near East
Images & Art
Maps & Geography
Mythology & Beliefs
People in History
Timelines & Charts
Zech 13:7 "Awake, O sword, against My Shepherd, against the Man who is My Companion," says the LORD of hosts. "Strike the Shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered; then I will turn My hand against the little ones.
Matt 26:31 Then Jesus said to them, "All of you will be made to stumble because of Me this night, for it is written: `I will strike the Shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.'
John 16:31-33 "Jesus answered them, "Do you now believe? Indeed the hour is coming, yes, has now come, that you will be scattered, each to his own, and will leave Me alone. And yet I am not alone, because the Father is with Me."
- Jesus Himself testified that Zech 13:7 refers to His being stricken and the sheep being scattered.
- "Awake, O sword" reveals that the Lord is in control and allowed His Son (the Messiah) to be stricken by the Jews.
- Only the Lord can awake the sword against His chosen.
- The main responsibility of the shepherd was to feed and lead, and to protect his sheep.
- My "Companion" is a reference to the Trinity, it speaks of an equal or nearest kinsman.
- He whom God calls His neighbor cannot be a mere man, but can only be one who participates in the divine nature, or is essentially divine. The shepherd of Jehovah, whom the sword is to smite, is therefore no other than the Messiah, who is also identified with Jehovah in Zech 12:10; or the good shepherd, who says of Himself, "I and my Father are one" (John 10:30) (from Keil & Delitzsch Commentary on the Old Testament).
- To "Strike" means to be put to death.
- When Jesus was smitten everyone forsook Him. They all scattered and He was left alone.
- The Lord encouraged His disciples of this event and strengthened them.
- The "little ones" speaks of the least in the flock.
- The hand of Yahweh smote the Shepherd in His wrath, that the same hand of Yahweh might be extended in grace upon the little ones.
Messianic Prophecy Audio Series with Shahar
Seed of the Woman
Seed of Abraham
Tribe of Judah
Star of Jacob
Seed of David
Prophet like Moses
Son of God
Resurrected from the Dead
Betrayed by a Friend
Ascend into Heaven
Priest like Melchizedek
Seated at God's Right Hand
Born of a Virgin
Minister in Galilee
Meek and Humble Man
Savior to the Gentiles
He will be Beaten
Establishes a New Covenant
Will have Two Missions
Will Perform Miracles
Will be Jehovah
Born in Bethlehem
Will Come to the Temple
Enter Jerusalem on Donkey
He will be Pierced
Forsaken by His Disciples
Victory over Death
Date of his Death Predicted
Isaiah 52:7 - How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!
Chart of Some Messianic Prophecies in the Old Testament
Here is a list of some of the prophecies about Jesus, the Jewish Messiah. First the topic, then the Old Testament prediction, and the New Testament fulfillment. I have included some comments at the bottom of each section and some brief audio commentary by Shahar.
Messianic Prophecy Series on Audio
(Download Instructions: Right click and choose "save target as")
(Next: You can use the main image above to follow each prophecy in text and audio)
The Story of the Bible
© Bible History Online (http://www.bible-history.com)