Ancient Near East
Images & Art
Maps & Geography
Mythology & Beliefs
People in History
Timelines & Charts
Mic 5:2 "But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of you shall come forth to Me the One to be Ruler in Israel, whose goings forth are from of old, from everlasting."
Lk 2:4-6 Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judea, to the city of David, which is called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and lineage of David, to be registered with Mary, his betrothed wife, who was with child. So it was, that while they were there, the days were completed for her to be delivered.
- Messiah would be born in Bethlehem.
- Bethlehem was an insignificant city, so much so that there have been almost no mentions of ancient Bethlehem in archaeology.
- Bethlehem in Hebrew means "House of Bread"
- Mic 5:2 also verifies that Messiah would be from everlasting, from eternity past.
- Bethlehem was the birthplace of King David, most Hebrew kings were born in Jerusalem.
- The first century Jews all understood the reference to be the town of Bethlehem.
- Ruler in Mic 5:2 is not the usual word for king "melech" but the word "mashal" which speaks of a civil or economic ruler like a powerful merchant, prince or king. The New testament translates the word as a Shepherd Ruler.
- It is interesting that the Magi in Matt 2 sought the One who was "born king of the Jews" rather than appointed.
- Bethlehem was located about 5 miles from Jerusalem.
Messianic Prophecy Audio Series with Shahar
Seed of the Woman
Seed of Abraham
Tribe of Judah
Star of Jacob
Seed of David
Prophet like Moses
Son of God
Resurrected from the Dead
Betrayed by a Friend
Ascend into Heaven
Priest like Melchizedek
Seated at God's Right Hand
Born of a Virgin
Minister in Galilee
Meek and Humble Man
Savior to the Gentiles
He will be Beaten
Establishes a New Covenant
Will have Two Missions
Will Perform Miracles
Will be Jehovah
Born in Bethlehem
Will Come to the Temple
Enter Jerusalem on Donkey
He will be Pierced
Forsaken by His Disciples
Victory over Death
Date of his Death Predicted
Isaiah 52:7 - How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!
Chart of Some Messianic Prophecies in the Old Testament
Here is a list of some of the prophecies about Jesus, the Jewish Messiah. First the topic, then the Old Testament prediction, and the New Testament fulfillment. I have included some comments at the bottom of each section and some brief audio commentary by Shahar.
Messianic Prophecy Series on Audio
(Download Instructions: Right click and choose "save target as")
(Next: You can use the main image above to follow each prophecy in text and audio)
The Story of the Bible
© Bible History Online (http://www.bible-history.com)