Ancient Near East
Images & Art
Maps & Geography
Mythology & Beliefs
People in History
Timelines & Charts
Psalm 68:18 You have ascended on high, you have led captivity captive; you have received gifts among men, even from the rebellious, that the LORD God might dwell there.
Acts 1:9 Now when He had spoken these things, while they watched, He was taken up, and a cloud received Him out of their sight.Eph 4:7-8 But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ's gift. Therefore He says: "When He ascended on high, He led captivity captive, And gave gifts to men."
Key Points:- The New Testament applies this verse to the risen Christ.
- Leading captives bearing spoils was a common picture in the ancient world according to archaeology.
- This was the greatest victory ever.- Jesus said that He must ascend to the Father.
- "Led captivity captive" speaks of victory as in the song of Deborah.- Leading captivity captive speaks of the utter defeat of captivity.
- Any enemy who holds Godís people captive has been led captive.- In relation to the Messiah, Christ has triumphed over, and bound forever, Satan, sin, and death, which once held man captive. (Col 2:15; 1 Cor 15:54).
- Gifts speak of that which was won from the conquered enemies, the spoils of war.- The gifts won by Christ's victory over the powers of evil are distributed to His people.
- "From the rebellious" speaks in a preliminary sense of Davidís enemies and in a greater and secondary sense to all of Christís enemies who become objects of punishment.- "That the LORD God might dwell there" is a clear reference to the indwelling of God within His Temple, which are His people.
- Jesus ascended from the Mount of Olives (Acts 1:9).
- Mount Zion is the earthly type of the heavenly mount.
Messianic Prophecy Audio Series with Shahar
Seed of the Woman
Seed of Abraham
Tribe of Judah
Star of Jacob
Seed of David
Prophet like Moses
Son of God
Resurrected from the Dead
Betrayed by a Friend
Ascend into Heaven
Priest like Melchizedek
Seated at God's Right Hand
Born of a Virgin
Minister in Galilee
Meek and Humble Man
Savior to the Gentiles
He will be Beaten
Establishes a New Covenant
Will have Two Missions
Will Perform Miracles
Will be Jehovah
Born in Bethlehem
Will Come to the Temple
Enter Jerusalem on Donkey
He will be Pierced
Forsaken by His Disciples
Victory over Death
Date of his Death Predicted
Isaiah 52:7 - How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!
Chart of Some Messianic Prophecies in the Old Testament
Here is a list of some of the prophecies about Jesus, the Jewish Messiah. First the topic, then the Old Testament prediction, and the New Testament fulfillment. I have included some comments at the bottom of each section and some brief audio commentary by Shahar.
Messianic Prophecy Series on Audio
(Download Instructions: Right click and choose "save target as")
(Next: You can use the main image above to follow each prophecy in text and audio)
The Story of the Bible
© Bible History Online (http://www.bible-history.com)