Ancient Near East
Images & Art
Maps & Geography
Mythology & Beliefs
People in History
Timelines & Charts
Map of the Roman Empire - Siscia
J-2 on the Map
Ancient Siscia - Important island city located in Pannonia Superior between two large rivers. The ancient name of Siscia was Segestica. Its modern name is Sisak.
Siscia - Now Sissek, called Segesta by Appian. An important town in Pannonia Superior, situated upon an island formed by the rivers Savus, Colapis, and Odra, and on the road from Aemona to Sirmium (Dio Cass. xlix. 37). - Harry Thurston Peck. Harpers Dictionary of Classical Antiquities. New York. Harper and Brothers. 1898.
Sisak (Slovene: Sisek, German: Sissek, Hungarian: Sziszek, Latin:
Siscia) is a city in central Croatia. The city's population in 2001 was 36,785,
with a total of 52,236 in the administrative region and it is also the
administrative centre of the Sisak-Moslavina county. Sisak is located at the
confluence of the Kupa, Sava, and Odra rivers, 57 km southeast of the Croatian
History of Ancient Sisak. Prior to the invasion by the Roman Empire, the region was Celtic and the city there was named Segestica. During the Roman Empire when Sisak was known as Siscia, Christian martyr Quirinus of Sescia was tortured and nearly killed during Diocletian's persecution of Christians. Legend has it that they tied him to a millstone and threw him into a river, but he freed himself from the weight, escaped and continued to preach his faith. Today he is the patron saint of Sisak. - Wikipedia
Siscia (Segestica), a town of the Varciani, Pannonise, on Savus fl., R., at its confluence with Colapis fl. Szissek. - Classical Gazetteer
Maps are essential for any serious study, they help students of Roman history understand the geographical locations and historical backgrounds of the places mentioned in historical sources.
SI´SCIA, SEGESTA, or SEGE´STICA (Σισκία, Σεγέστα, Σεγεστική), a great town in the south of Upper Pannonia, on the southern bank of the Savus, on an island formed by that river and two others, the Colapis and Odra, a canal dug by Tiberius completing the island. (D. C. 49.37.) It was situated on the great road from Aemona to Sirmium. [2.1015] （It. Ant. pp. 259, 260, 265, 266, 272, 274; Plin. Nat. 3.28.) According to Pliny the name Segestica belonged only to the island, and the town was called Siscia; while Strabo (vii. p.314) says that Siscia was a fort in the neighbourhood of Segestica; but if this was so, it must be supposed that subsequently the fort and town became united as one place. (Comp. Strab. iv. p.202, v. p. 214, vii. p. 218; Appian, App. Ill. 16, 23, &c.) Siscia was from the first a strongly fortified town; and after its capture by Tiberius, in the reign of Augustus (Appian, Dio Cass., ll. cc.; Vell. 2.113), it became one of the most important places of Pannonia; for being situated on two navigable rivers, it not only carried on considerable commerce (Strab. v. pp. 207, 214), but became the central point from which Augustus and Tiberius carried on their undertakings against the Pannonians and Illyrians. Tiberius did much to enlarge and embellish the town, which as early as that time seems to have been made a colonia, for Pliny mentions it as such: in the time of Septimius Severus it received fresh colonists, whence in inscriptions it is called Col. Septimia Siscia. The town contained an imperial mint, and the treasury for what was at a later time called the province Savia; at the same time it was the station of the small fleet kept on the Savus. Siscia maintained its importance until Sirmium began to rise, for in proportion as Sirmium rose, Siscia sank and declined. (Comp. Zosim. 2.48; Orelli, Inscript. n. 504, 505, 2703, 3075, 3346, 4993.) The modern town of Sissek, occupying the place of the ancient Siscia, contains many interesting remains of antiquity. (Marsili, Danubius, p. 47; Schönwisner, Antiq. Sabariae, p. 52, foll.; Muchar, Norikum, i. p. 159.) - Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) William Smith, LLD, Ed.
Map of the Roman Empire - Places