Ark of the Covenant - Bible History Online

Bible History Online

Sub Categories
Aceldama
Acropolis
Antonia Fortress
Apse of the Nea Church
Aqabat et - Takiya
Armenian Mosaic
Bab el - Mathara
Bab el - Qattanin
Bethany
Bethphage
Burnt House
Cardo Maximus
Cave of Gethsemane
Chruch of the Visitation
Church if St John the Baptist
Church of all Nations
Church of St John the Baptist
Church of St Mary Magdalene
Church of the Pater Noster
Church of the Redeemer
Citadel Excavations
Citadel Museum
Crusader Market
Damascus Gate
Dome of the Chain
Dome of the Rock
Dominus Flevit
Ecce Homo
El - Aksa Mosque
Essene Gate
Ethiopian Monastery
Fountain of Sultan Qaytbay
Four Synagogues
Garden Tomb
Gihon Spring
Golden Gate
Hermitage
Herod's Family Tomb
Herod's Gate
Herodian Houses
Hezekiah's Tunnel
Hurva and Ramban Synagogues
Iron Age Wall
Islamic Museum
Israel Museum Western Section
Israelite and Hasmonean Walls
Jaffa Gate
Jason's Tomb
Jebusite Wall
Jerusalem Gates
Jerusalem Walls
Judgment Gate
Madrasa Ashrafiyya
Minor Monuments
Model of Herodian Jerusalem
Model of Iron Age Jerusalem
Monastery of the Cross
Monastery of the Flagellation
Mosque of the Ascension
Museums in Northern Section
Museums Western Section
New Gate
Patriarch's Bath Pool
Paved Street
Platform of Dome of the Rock
Pool of Bethesda
Pool of Siloam
Roman Column
Roofs of the Market
Russian Ascension Church
Russian Mission
Sanhedrin Tombs
Shaft Tombs
Sion Gate to Dung Gate
Solomon's Quarries
Solomon's Stables
St Anne's
St Mary's of the Germans
St Stephen's Church
St Stephen's Gate
Suq el - Qattanin
Tariq Bab en - Hadid
Tariq Bab en - Nazir
Tarq Bab es - Silsila
Temple Mount North Wall
The Cenacle
The Column
Tomb of Absalom
Tomb of David
Tomb of Queen Helena of Adiabene
Tomb of Simon the Just
Tomb of the Virgin
Tomb of Zachariah
Tombs in Silwan
Tombs of the Prophets
Tourist Attractions
Tower of David
Valley of Hinnom
Via Dolorosa
Warren's Shaft
Western Wall
Western Wall Plaza - Outside Gates
Western Wall Plaza - SW
Western Wall Tunnel
Zawiya Kubakiyya

Back to Categories

May 26    Scripture

Sites - Jerusalem: Church of the Pater Noster
The Mount of Olives in Jerusalem

Church of the Pater Noster in Wikipedia The Church of the Pater Noster is a partially reconstructed Roman Catholic church located on the Mount of Olives, north of the Tombs of the Prophets, in Jerusalem. It stands on the traditional site of Christ's teaching of the Lord's Prayer. (Luke 11:2-4 ) History -- The modern church is built on the site of a 4th century basilica designed by Constantine I to commemorate the Ascension of Jesus Christ. It was built under the direction of Constantine's mother Helena in the early 4th century, who named it the Church of the Disciples. The pilgrim Egeria was the first to refer to it as the church of the Eleona, meaning olive grove in the late 4th century. The church is mentioned by the Bordeaux pilgrim in the Itinerarium Burdigalense circa 333, and the historian Eusebius of Caesarea recounts that Constantine constructed a church over a cave on the Mount of Olives that had been linked with the Ascension.[1] The 2nd century Acts of John mention the existence of a cave on the Mount of Olives associated with the teachings of Jesus, but not specifically the Lord's Prayer. The church survived intact until it was destroyed by Persians in 614. The memory of Jesus' teaching remained associated with this site, and during the crusades it became exclusively associated with the teaching of the Lord's Prayer. Christian crusaders constructed a small oratory amid the ruins in 1106, and a full church was constructed in 1152 thanks to funds donated by the Bishop of Denmark, who is buried inside the church. The crusader era church was heavily damaged during the Siege of Jerusalem in 1187, eventually being abandoned and falling into ruin in 1345. In 1851 the remaining stones of the 4th-century church were sold for tombstones in the Valley of Jehoshaphat. The site was acquired by the Princesse de la Tour d'Auvergne in the late 19th century and a search for the cave mentioned by early pilgrims began. In 1868 she built a cloister modeled on the Campo Santo at Pisa, Italy and founded a Carmelite convent in 1872. In 1910 the foundations over the cave were found partly beneath the cloister. The convent was moved nearby and reconstruction of the Byzantine church began in 1915. The church remains unfinished. Design and Layout -- The 4th-century Byzantine church has been partially reconstructed and provides a good sense of what the original was like. The churches dimensions are the same as the original and the garden outside the three doors outlines the atrium area. The church is unroofed and has steps that lead into a grotto where some Christians believe that Jesus revealed to his disciples his prophesy of the destruction of Jerusalem and the second coming. Unfortunately the cave containing the grotto partially collapsed when it was discovered in 1910. It also cuts partly into a 1st century tomb. Left of the church's south door is a baptistery paved with mosaic. The cloister is of European style and contains plaques that bear the Lord's Prayer in over 100 different languages.[2] A road to the right of the convent leads to the Russian Church of the Ascension and Byzantine tomb chapels with some Armenian mosaics are preserved in a small museum. Location -- The church is located in the At-Tur district of Jerusalem which has a population of about 18,000 mostly Muslim Arabs, with a small Christian minority.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_Pater_Noster


If you notice a broken link or any error PLEASE report it by clicking HERE
© 1995-2017 Bible History Online





More Bible History