Ark of the Covenant - Bible History Online

Bible History Online

Sub Categories
Aceldama
Acropolis
Antonia Fortress
Apse of the Nea Church
Aqabat et - Takiya
Armenian Mosaic
Bab el - Mathara
Bab el - Qattanin
Bethany
Bethphage
Burnt House
Cardo Maximus
Cave of Gethsemane
Chruch of the Visitation
Church if St John the Baptist
Church of all Nations
Church of St John the Baptist
Church of St Mary Magdalene
Church of the Pater Noster
Church of the Redeemer
Citadel Excavations
Citadel Museum
Crusader Market
Damascus Gate
Dome of the Chain
Dome of the Rock
Dominus Flevit
Ecce Homo
El - Aksa Mosque
Essene Gate
Ethiopian Monastery
Fountain of Sultan Qaytbay
Four Synagogues
Garden Tomb
Gihon Spring
Golden Gate
Hermitage
Herod's Family Tomb
Herod's Gate
Herodian Houses
Hezekiah's Tunnel
Hurva and Ramban Synagogues
Iron Age Wall
Islamic Museum
Israel Museum Western Section
Israelite and Hasmonean Walls
Jaffa Gate
Jason's Tomb
Jebusite Wall
Jerusalem Gates
Jerusalem Walls
Judgment Gate
Madrasa Ashrafiyya
Minor Monuments
Model of Herodian Jerusalem
Model of Iron Age Jerusalem
Monastery of the Cross
Monastery of the Flagellation
Mosque of the Ascension
Museums in Northern Section
Museums Western Section
New Gate
Patriarch's Bath Pool
Paved Street
Platform of Dome of the Rock
Pool of Bethesda
Pool of Siloam
Roman Column
Roofs of the Market
Russian Ascension Church
Russian Mission
Sanhedrin Tombs
Shaft Tombs
Sion Gate to Dung Gate
Solomon's Quarries
Solomon's Stables
St Anne's
St Mary's of the Germans
St Stephen's Church
St Stephen's Gate
Suq el - Qattanin
Tariq Bab en - Hadid
Tariq Bab en - Nazir
Tarq Bab es - Silsila
Temple Mount North Wall
The Cenacle
The Column
Tomb of Absalom
Tomb of David
Tomb of Queen Helena of Adiabene
Tomb of Simon the Just
Tomb of the Virgin
Tomb of Zachariah
Tombs in Silwan
Tombs of the Prophets
Tourist Attractions
Tower of David
Valley of Hinnom
Via Dolorosa
Warren's Shaft
Western Wall
Western Wall Plaza - Outside Gates
Western Wall Plaza - SW
Western Wall Tunnel
Zawiya Kubakiyya

Back to Categories

August 20    Scripture

Sites - Jerusalem: Four Synagogues
The Four Synagogues in The Jewish Quarter in Jerusalem

Four Synagogues in Wikipedia The Four Sephardic Synagogues are located in the Jewish Quarter of the Old City of Jerusalem. They form a complex which comprises four adjoining synagogues which were built at different periods to accommodate the religious needs of the Sephardic community, each congregation practising a different rite. With the closing of the Ramban Synagogue at the command of the Ottoman sultan in 1589, there ceased to be a Jewish house of prayer in Jerusalem and the Jews, many of whom were descendants of immigrants who had arrived after the expulsion from Spain in 1492, were forced to pray privately in their own homes. At the beginning of the 17th century a new synagogue, the Yochanan ben Zakai Synagogue, was inaugurated. In 1835 Muhammad Ali, viceroy of Egypt who ruled Jerusalem at the time, permitted the refurbishment of the synagogues which had been denied since their construction. At the entrance to the Istanbuli Synagogue is a plaque commemorating the restoration. After the fall of the Jewish Quarter during the 1948 Arab- Israeli War the synagogues were burnt and desecrated and turned into horse stables. After the Six Day War the synagogues were restored by architect Dan Tanai. Yochanan ben Zakai Synagogue - Installation of the Chacham Bashi of Jerusalem at the synagogue in 1893 According to legend, the Yochanan ben Zakai Synagogue, (Hebrew: בית הכנסת יוחנן בן זכאי‎), also known as Kahal Kadosh Gadol, stands on the spot of the Beit Midrash of the tanna Rabban Yochanan ben Zakai, who established the Sanhedrin in Yavneh after the destruction of the Second Temple. The current building was constructed at the beginning of the 17th century. A piece of land below street level was chosen for the synagogue in order to conceal the building from the authorities. Meir Ben Dov, however, is of the opinion that the sub-street level plot wasn’t intentionally chosen, but rather that street level itself was lower at the time and the synagogue had protruded above the street. With time the dwellings surrounding the synagogue were demolished and new houses were built above them, while the synagogue itself was preserved. This cycle continued until today, resulting in the synagogue being situated below street level. It should nevertheless be noted that if construction was indeed permitted, the building itself had to comply with Muslim restrictions for dhimmi houses of prayer not to be higher than mosques.[1] Located in the old Jewish Quarter of Jerusalem, it suffered the same fate as most the synagogues in the area during the 19 year Jordanian occupation after 1948. It has been fully refurbished since Israel gained control of the Old City during the Six Day War. This work was initiated by Rabbi Meir Yehuda Getz, Rabbi of the Western Wall, who also restored the Yeshivat haMekubalim to its former glory. Istanbuli Synagogue - Antique steel engraving of the Istanbuli Synagogue, c.1825 As the Sephardi community of Jerusalem grew, a large group of immigrants arrived from Istanbul, Turkey, who used the adjacent building as a synagogue from 1764. Over time, the Istanbuli Synagogue, (Hebrew: בית הכנסת האיסטנבולי‎), attracted worshipers from the Eastern communities, including Kurdistan and from North and West Africa. The Istanbuli Synagogue is now used by a Spanish and Portuguese congregation following mostly the London rite. The Aron Kodesh dates from the seventeenth century and was imported from a synagogue which had been destroyed in Ancona, Italy. The bimah, constructed in the eighteenth century, came from a synagogue in Pesaro, Italy. The synagogue was renovated in 1836. During the Israel War of Independence the synagogue was occupied by Arabs. After Israel gained control of the Old City during the Six Day War, it was renovated. As the Istanbuli synagogue is the largest of the four, it is used for the inauguration of the Sephardic Chief Rabbi of Israel. Eliahu Ha'navi Synagogue - Another synagogue was established in the 16th century and named after Elijah the Prophet. This synagogue is the oldest of the four. The Eliyahu Ha'navi Synagogue mainly served as a beth midrash for Torah study. Also known as Kahal Talmud Torah, it was only used for prayer on festivals. According to legend, the name of the synagogue was given after an event that took place on Yom Kippur, when one person was missing to complete the minyan required for prayer. Out of the blue, a man, unknown to the worshippers, appeared and the service was able to start. The man mysteriously disappeared after the Neilah prayer. The people were sure that the man was none other than Elijah the Prophet. Emtsai Synagogue - The Emtsai Synagogue or Middle Synagogue, (Hebrew: בית הכנסת האמצעי‎), also known as the Kahal Tzion Synagogue, forms the central chamber of the complex. It was originally a courtyard which probably used as the women’s section of the Rabban Yohanan Ben Zakai synagogue. During Sukkot it could be converted into a sukkah for the worshippers. With the growth of the community, it was decided during the middle of the 18th century to roof the yard. It was turned into what is today known as the Middle Synagogue, due to its location in the "middle" of the other three synagogues.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Sephardic_Synagogues


If you notice a broken link or any error PLEASE report it by clicking HERE
© 1995-2017 Bible History Online





More Bible History