Bible Names N-Z: Pedaiah
Pedaiah in Easton's Bible Dictionary
redemption of the Lord. (1.) The father of Zebudah, who was
wife of Josiah and mother of king Jehoiakim (2 Kings
(2.) The father of Zerubbabel (1 Chr. 3:17-19).
(3.). The father of Joel, ruler of the half-tribe of
(1 Chr. 27:20).
(4.) Neh. 3:25.
(5.) A Levite (8:4).
(6.) A Benjamite (11:7).
(7.) A Levite (13:13).
Pedaiah in Fausset's Bible Dictionary
1. 2 Kings 23:36.
2. Brother of Salathiel or Shealtiel; father of
Zerubbabel who is called "son of Shealtiel" as being heir and
successor of Shealtiel his uncle, issue failing in the direct
line (1 Chronicles 3:17-19; Haggai 1:1; Matthew 1:12).
3. Nehemiah 3:25.
4. Nehemiah 8:4.
5. Nehemiah 11:7.
6. Nehemiah 8:19; Nehemiah 10:14; Nehemiah 13:13.
7. 1 Chronicles 27:20.
Pedaiah in Hitchcock's Bible Names
redemption of the Lord
Pedaiah in Naves Topical Bible
-1. Grandfather of King Josiah
-2. Father of Zerubbabel
-3. Father of Joel
-4. Son of Parosh
-5. A Levite appointed as treasurer by Nehemiah
Ne 8:4; 13:13
-6. A Benjamite
Pedaiah in Smiths Bible Dictionary
(whom Jehovah redeems).
1. The father of Zebudah, mother of King Jehoiakim.
2Ki 23:38 (B.C. before 648.)
2. The brother of Salathiel or Shealtiel and father of
Zerubbabel who is usually called the "son of Shealtiel,"
being, as Lord A. Hervey conjectures, in reality his uncle's
successor and heir, in consequence Of the failure of issue in
the direct line. 1Ch 3:17-19 (B.C. before 536.)
3. Son of Parosh, that is, one of the family or that
name, who assisted Nehemiah in repairing the walls of
Jerusalem. Ne 3:25 (B.C. about 446.)
4. Apparently a priest; one of those who stood on the
left hand of Ezra when he read the law to the people. Ne 8:4
5. A Benjamite, ancestor of Sallu. Ne 11:7
6. A Levite in the time of Nehemiah, Ne 13:13
apparently the same as 4.
7. The father of Joel, prince of the half tribe of
Manasseh in the reign of David. 1Ch 27:20 (B.C. before 1013.)
Pedaiah in the Bible Encyclopedia - ISBE
pe-da'-ya, pe-di'-a (pedhayahu, "Yah redeems"):
(1) Father of Joel, who was ruler of Western Manasseh in
David's reign (1 Ch 27:20). Form pedhayah (see above).
(2) Pedaiah of Rumah (2 Ki 23:36), father of Zebudah,
(3) A son of Jeconiah (1 Ch 3:18); in 1 Ch 3:19 the father of
Zerubbabel. Pedaiah's brother, Shealtiel, is also called
father of Zerubbabel (Ezr 3:2; but in 1 Ch 3:17 the King James
Version spelled "Salathiel"). There may have been two cousins,
or even different individuals may be referred to under
Shealtiel and Salathiel respectively.
(4) Another who helped to repair the city wall (Neh 3:25), of
the family of PAROSH (which see). Perhaps this is the man who
stood by Ezra at the reading of the Law (Neh 8:4; 1 Esdras
9:44, called "Phaldeus").
(5) A "Levite," appointed one of the treasurers over the
"treasuries" of the Lord's house (Neh 13:13).
(6) A Benjamite, one of the rulers residing in Jerusalem under
the "return" arrangements (Neh 11:7).
Pedaiah Scripture - 1 Chronicles 3:19
And the sons of Pedaiah [were], Zerubbabel, and Shimei: and
the sons of Zerubbabel; Meshullam, and Hananiah, and Shelomith
Pedaiah Scripture - 2 Kings 23:36
Jehoiakim [was] twenty and five years old when he began to
reign; and he reigned eleven years in Jerusalem. And his
mother's name [was] Zebudah, the daughter of Pedaiah of Rumah.
Pedaiah Scripture - Nehemiah 8:4
And Ezra the scribe stood upon a pulpit of wood, which they
had made for the purpose; and beside him stood Mattithiah, and
Shema, and Anaiah, and Urijah, and Hilkiah, and Maaseiah, on
his right hand; and on his left hand, Pedaiah, and Mishael,
and Malchiah, and Hashum, and Hashbadana, Zechariah, [and]
If you notice a broken link or any error PLEASE report it by clicking HERE
© 1995-2016 Bible History Online