Bible Names H-M: Jehiel
Jeheiel in Hitchcock's Bible Names
Jehiel in Easton's Bible Dictionary
God's living one. (1.) The father of Gibeon (1 Chr. 9:35).
(2.) One of David's guard (1 Chr. 11:44).
(3.) One of the Levites "of the second degree,"
conduct the music on the occasion of the ark's being
Jerusalem (1 Chr. 15:18, 20).
(4.) A Hachmonite, a tutor in the family of David
close of his reign (1 Chr. 27:32).
(5.) The second of Jehoshaphat's six sons (2 Chr.
(6.) One of the Levites of the family of Heman who
Hezekiah in his work of reformation (2 Chr. 29:14).
(7.) A "prince" and "ruler of the house of God" who
contributed liberally to the renewal of the temple
under Josiah (2 Chr. 35:8).
(8.) The father of Obadiah (Ezra 8:9).
(9.) One of the "sons" of Elam (Ezra 10:26).
(10.) Ezra 10:21.
Jehiel in Naves Topical Bible
-1. A Levite porter, probably identical with JEHIAH above
-2. A Gershonite Levite
1Ch 23:8; 29:8
-3. A companion of David's sons
-4. Son of Jehoshaphat
-5. Son of Heman
-6. A Levite overseer in the temple
-7. A priest who gave extraordinary offerings for the
-8. Father of Obadiah
-9. Father of Shechaniah
-10. Name of two priests who married idolatrous wives
Jehiel in Smiths Bible Dictionary
1. One of the Levites appointed by David to assist
in the service of the house of God. 1Ch 15:18,20; 16:5
2. One of the sons of Jehoshaphat king of Judah, put
to death by his brother Jehoram. 2Ch 21:2,4 (B.C. 887.)
3. One of the rulers of the house of God at the time
of the reforms of Josiah. 2Ch 35:8 (B.C. 623.)
4. A Gershonite Levite, 1Ch 23:8 who had charge of
the treasures. ch. 1Ch 28:8
5. A son of Hachmoni named in the list of David's
officers, 1Ch 27:32 as "with the king's sons," whatever that
6. A Levite who took part in the restorations of
King Hezekiah. 2Ch 29:14 (B.C. 726.)
7. Another Levite at the same period. 2Ch 31:13
8. Father of Obadiah, of the Bene-Joab. Ezr 8:9
(B.C. before 459.)
9. One of the Bene-Elam, father of Shechaniah. Ezr
10. A member of the same family, who himself had to
part with his wife. Ezr 10:26
11. A priest, one of the Bene-Harim, who also had to
put away his foreign wife. Ezr 10:21 (B.C. 459.)
Jehiel in the Bible Encyclopedia - ISBE
je-hi'-el, je-hi'-e-li (yechi'el, "may God live!"):
(1) A Levite, one of the musicians appointed to play upon
instruments at the bringing up of the ark by David (1 Ch
15:18,20; 16:5); (yechi'eli): A patronymic of this name (1
Ch 26:21,22), but Curtis (Chronicles, 286-87) reads "Jehiel
(1 Ch 26:21) and he is brethren Zetham and Joel" (1 Ch
26:22); compare 1 Ch 23:8, where the three seem to be
brothers. See (2) above.
(2) A Gershonite, head of a Levitical house (1 Ch 23:8;
(3) Son of a Hachmonite; he was "with the king's (David's)
sons," i.e. their tutor (1 Ch 27:32).
(4) A son of King Jehoshaphat (2 Ch 21:2).
(5) In 2 Ch 29:14 the King James Version, where Qere is
yechu'el, the Revised Version (British and American)
"Jehuel," a Hermanite Levite who took part in cleansing the
temple in Hezekiah's reign.
(6) An overseer in Hezekiah's reign (2 Ch 31:13).
(7) One of the three "rulers" of the temple in Hezekiah's
reign (2 Ch 35:8).
(8) Father of Obadiah, a returned exile (Ezr 8:9) =
"Jezelus" of 1 Esdras 8:35.
(9) Father of Shecaniah (Ezr 10:2) = "Jeelus" of 1 Esdras
8:92. He was a "son" of Elam, and so probably the same as
"Jehiel" in Ezr 10:26, one of those who had married foreign
wives = "Jezrielus" of 1 Esdras 9:27.
(10) A "son" of Harim, and one of those who had married
foreign wives (Ezr 10:21) = "Hiereel" of 1 Esdras 9:21.
(11) The King James Version in 1 Ch 9:35 = JEIEL (q.v. (2)).
(12) The King James Version in 1 Ch 11:44 = JEIEL (q.v.
David Francis Roberts
Jehiel in Wikipedia
Yechiel (Hebrew: יְחִיאֵל) is a Hebrew masculine given name
meaning "May God live" or "God shall live" in Hebrew. It
appears in the Bible as a Jewish leader during the Babylonian
exile (Ezra 8:9). There are several people in the Bible called
Yechiel, most of which are Levites.
Other Yehiels in the bible include the second of Jehoshaphat's
six sons, one of the Levites of the family of Heman who
assisted Hezekiah in his work of reformation, the father of
Obadiah, and one of the sons of Elam.
Alternative spellings of Yechiel include Jehiel, Yehiel,
Yechi'el. Yiddish variants include Ichel, Ychel, and Echiel.
Jehiel Scripture - 1 Chronicles 16:5
Asaph the chief, and next to him Zechariah, Jeiel, and
Shemiramoth, and Jehiel, and Mattithiah, and Eliab, and
Benaiah, and Obededom: and Jeiel with psalteries and with
harps; but Asaph made a sound with cymbals;
Jehiel Scripture - 2 Chronicles 21:2
And he had brethren the sons of Jehoshaphat, Azariah, and
Jehiel, and Zechariah, and Azariah, and Michael, and
Shephatiah: all these [were] the sons of Jehoshaphat king of
Jehiel Scripture - 2 Chronicles 35:8
And his princes gave willingly unto the people, to the
priests, and to the Levites: Hilkiah and Zechariah and Jehiel,
rulers of the house of God, gave unto the priests for the
passover offerings two thousand and six hundred [small
cattle], and three hundred oxen.
If you notice a broken link or any error PLEASE report it by clicking HERE
© 1995-2016 Bible History Online