Bible Names A-G: Azariah
Azariah in Easton's Bible Dictionary
whom Jehovah helps. (1.) Son of Ethan, of the tribe of Judah
(2.) Son of Ahimaaz, who succeeded his grandfather
high priest (1 Chr. 6:9; 1 Kings 4:2) in the days of
officiated at the consecration of the temple (1 Chr.
(3.) The son of Johanan, high priest in the reign of
and Asa (2 Chr. 6:10, 11).
(4.) High priest in the reign of Uzziah, king of
Kings 14:21; 2 Chr. 26:17-20). He was contemporary
prophets Isaiah, Amos, and Joel.
(5.) High priest in the days of Hezekiah (2 Chr.
the house of Zadok.
(6.) Several other priests and Levites of this name
mentioned (1 Chr. 6:36; Ezra 7:1; 1 Chr. 9:11; Neh.
(7.) The original name of Abed-nego (Dan. 1:6, 7,
11, 16). He
was of the royal family of Judah, and with his other
companions remarkable for his personal beauty and
intelligence as well as piety.
(8.) The son of Oded, a remarkable prophet in the
days of Asa
(2 Chr. 15:1). He stirred up the king and the people
to a great
Azariah in Fausset's Bible Dictionary
("whom Jehovah helps".) (See UZZIAH), like in sense to
Eleazar = whom God (El) helps, and to LAZARUS.
1. 1 Chronicles 2:8.
2. Son of Ahimaaz (1 Chronicles 6:9), succeeded Zadok his
grandfather in the high priesthood in Solomon's reign,
Ahimaaz having died before Zadok (1 Chronicles 6:10, the
"he" refers to the Azariah in 1 Chronicles 6:9). He
officiated at the consecration of Solomon's temple, and was
the first high priest that ministered in it.
3. Isaiah's contemporary, who with fourscore priests
withstood so faithfully king Uzziah when burning in. tense
(2 Chronicles 26:17-20).
4. Grandson of the Azariah 2, high priest under Abijah and
Asa, as Amariah his son was in the days of Jehoshaphat son
5. Azariah, son of Oded, also called simply Oded, a prophet
along with Hanani; encouraged Asa in his religious
reformation (2 Chronicles 15:1-8).
6. Chief priest of the house of Zadok, in Hezekiah's reign,
who appointed chambers in the house of the Lord for storing
the tithes and offerings, on which were dependent the
attendance of the priests at the temple services (Nehemiah
10:35-39; Nehemiah 12:27-80; Nehemiah 12:44-47; 2 Chronicles
7. 1 Chronicles 6:13; Ezra 7:1; 2 Kings 25:18.
8. Hebrew name of (See ABEDNEGO (Daniel 1:6-19; Daniel 1:3);
of the seed royal of Judah; fulfilling the prophecy to
Hezekiah (Isaiah 39:5-7); famed for beauty, wisdom, above
all faithfulness unto death, and for his miraculous
deliverance from the furnace.
9. 2 Chronicles 21:2.
10. Several others: 1 Chronicles 6:36 = Ezra, 1 Chronicles
9:11; Nehemiah 3:23-24; Nehemiah 8:7; 2 Chronicles 29:12; 2
Chronicles 28:12; compare Jeremiah 43:2; Nehemiah 12:32-33;
1 Chronicles 2:38-39; Azariah whose name proves that the
genealogy in 1 Chronicles 2:36-41 was made in Hezekiah's
reign, for Azariah (1 Chronicles 2:38) appears from 2
Chronicles 23:1; 2 Chronicles 24:1, to have been captain
when Joash was seven years old, i.e. about one generation
elder than Joash. After Azariah in that genealogy are six
generations, ending with Elishama; and from Joash to
Hezekiah also six; therefore Elishama was contemporary with
Hezekiah. Zabad in 1 Chronicles 2:36-37 (compare 1
Chronicles 11:41) was contemporary of David.
11. Uzziah, meaning much the same, the might of Jehovah (2
Azariah in Hitchcock's Bible Names
he that hears the Lord
Azariah in Naves Topical Bible
1. Son of Ethan
-2. Son of Jehu
-3. Son of Zadok
-4. Captain of Solomon's guards
-5. A prophet, called OBED
-6. A high priest
Also called AMARIAH
-7. Son of Jehoshaphat
-8. King of Judah, called AHAZIAH
-9. Son of Jeroham
-10. Son of Obed
-11. Son of Johanan, possibly identical with ZECHARIAH, son
1Ch 6:10,11; 2Ch 24:20-22
See UZZIAH, king of Judah
-13. Chief of the tribe of Ephraim
-14. A Levite
-15. High priest in Hezekiah's reign
Probably identical with AHITUB mentioned in
-16. Son of Hilkiah
1Ch 6:13,14; 9:11; Ezr 7:1,3
-17. Son of Hoshaiah
-18. Hebrew name of ABED-NEGO
-19. A captive returned from Babylon
Ne 7:7; 10:2
Also called SERAIAH
Azariah in Smiths Bible Dictionary
(whom the Lord helps) a common name in Hebrew, and
especially in the families of the priests of the line of
Eleazar, whose name has precisely the same meaning as
Azariah. It is nearly identical, and is often confounded,
with Ezra as well as with Zerahiah and Seraiah. The
principal persons who bore this name were--
1. Son of Ahimaaz. 1Ch 6:9 He appears from 1Ki 4:2
to have succeeded Zadok, his grandfather, in the high
priesthood, in the reign of Solomon, Ahimaaz having died
before Zadok. (B.C. About 1000.) [AHIMAAZ]
2. A chief officer of Solomon's, the son of Nathan,
perhaps David's grandson. 1Ki 4:5
3. Tenth king of Judah, more frequently called
Uzziah. 2Ki 14:21; 15:1,6,8,17,23,27; 1Ch 8:12
4. Son of Ethan, of the sons of Zerah, where,
perhaps, Zerahiah is the more probable reading. 1Ch 2:8
5. Son of Jehu of the family of the Jerahmeelites,
and descended from Jarha the Egyptian slave of Sheshan. 1Ch
2:38,39 He was probably one of the captains of hundreds in
the time of Athaliah mentioned in 2Ch 23:1 (B.C. 886.)
6. The son of Johanan. 1Ch 6:10 He must have been
high priest in the reign of Abijah and Asa. (B.C. 939.)
7. Another Azariah is inserted between Hilkiah, in
Josiah's reign, and Seraiah who was put to death by
Nebuchadnezzar, in 1Ch 6:13,14
8. Son of Zephaniah, a Kohathite, and ancestor of
Samuel the prophet. 1Ch 6:36 Apparently the same as Uzziah
in ver. 24.
9. Azariah; the son of Oded, 2Ch 15:1 called simply
Oded in ver. 8, was a remarkable prophet in the days of King
Asa, and a contemporary of Azariah the son of Johanan the
high priest, and of Hanani the seer. (B.C. 939.)
10. Son of Jehoshaphat king of Judah. 2Ch 21:2
11. Another son of Jehoshaphat, and brother of the
preceding. 2Ch 21:2
12. In 2Ch 22:6 Azariah is a clerical error for
13. Son of Jeroham, one of the captains of Judah in
the time of Athaliah. 2Ch 23:1
14. The high priest in the reign of Uzziah king of
Judah. The most memorable event of his life is that which is
recorded in 2Ch 26:17-20 (B.C. 810.) Azariah was
contemporary with Isaiah the prophet and with Amos and Joel.
15. Son of Johanan, one of the captains of Ephraim
in the reign of Ahaz. 2Ch 28:12
16. A Kohathite, father of Joel, in the reign of
Hezekiah. 2Ch 29:12 (B.C. 726.)
17. A Merarite, son of Jehalelel, in the time of
Hezekiah. 2Ch 29:12
18. The high priest in the days of Hezekiah. 2Ch
31:10,13 He appears to have co operated zealously with the
king in that thorough purification of the temple and
restoration of the temple service, which was so conspicuous
a feature in his reign. He succeeded Urijah, who was high
priest in the reign of Ahaz.
19. Son of Maaseiah who repaired part of the wall of
Jerusalem in the time of Nehemiah. Ne 3:23,24 (B.C. 446-
20. One of the leaders of the children of the
province who went up from Babylon with Zerubbabel. Ne 7:7
21. One of the Levites who assisted Ezra in
instructing the people in the knowledge of the law. Ne 8:7
22. One of the priests who sealed the covenant with
Nehemiah Ne 10:2 and probably the same with the Azariah who
assisted in the dedication of the city wall. Ne 12:33
23. Jer 13:2 (Jezaniah).
24. The original name of Abednego. Da 1:6,7,11,19 He
appears to have been of the seed-royal of Judah. (B.C. 603.)
Azariah in the Bible Encyclopedia - ISBE
az-a-ri'-a `azaryahu and `azaryah, "Yahweh has helped"):
(1) King of Judah.
(2) A Judahite of the house of Ethan the Wise (1 Ch 2:8).
(3) The son of Jehu, descended from an Egyptian through the
daughter of Sheshan (1 Ch 2:38).
(4) A son of Ahimaaz and grandson of Zadok (1 Ch 6:9).
(5) A son of Zadok the high priest and an official of
Solomon (1 Ki 4:2).
(6) A high priest and son of Johanan (1 Ch 6:10).
(7) A Levite, ancestor of Samuel, and Heman the singer (1 Ch
(8) A son of Nathan and captain of Solomon's tax collectors
(1 Ki 4:5).
(9) A prophet in the reign of King Asa; his father's name
was Oded (2 Ch 15:1-8).
(10 and 11) Two sons of Jehoshaphat, king of Judah (2 Ch
(12) King of Judah (2 Ch 22:6, called Ahaziah in 22:1).
(13) A son of Jeroham, who helped to overthrow Athaliah, and
place Joash on the throne (2 Ch 23:1).
(14) A son of Johanan and a leading man of Ephraim,
mentioned in connection with the emancipated captives taken
by Pekah (2 Ch 28:12).
(15) A Levite of the family of Merari, who took part in
cleansing the temple in the days of Hezekiah (2 Ch 29:12).
(16) A high priest who rebuked King Uzziah for arrogating to
himself priestly functions (2 Ch 26:16-20).
(17) The father of Seraiah and son of Hilkiah (1 Ch 6:13 f).
(18) A son of Hoshaiah, and a bitter enemy of Jeremiah (Jer
(19) One of the royal captives taken to Babylon, whose name
was changed to Abed-nego (Dan 1:7).
(20) The son of Maaseiah, who helped repair the walls of
Jerusalem (Neh 3:23 f).
(21) A Levite who assisted Ezra to expound the Law (Neh
(22) A priest who sealed the covenant (Neh 10:2).
(23) A prince of Judah mentioned in connection with the
dedication of the walls of Jerusalem (Neh 12:32 f).
W. W. Davies
Azariah in Wikipedia
(Hebrew: עֲזַרְיָה, meaning "Yah['s] help[ed]"; Latin: Azarias)
is the name of several people in the Hebrew Bible and Jewish
Abednego, the new name given to an Azariah who is the
companion of Daniel, Hananiah, and Mishael in the Book of
Azariah (guardian angel), the subject of the "Book of Azariah"
by Maria Valtorta
Azariah (prophet), a prophet
The grandfather of Ezra as mentioned in the Book of Ezra
Eleazar ben Azaria, the Mishnaic sage
Uzziah of Judah, an Azariah who is the king of Judah in the
Books of Kings
Azariah Scripture - 1 Chronicles 2:38
And Obed begat Jehu, and Jehu begat Azariah,
Azariah Scripture - 2 Chronicles 22:6
And he returned to be healed in Jezreel because of the wounds
which were given him at Ramah, when he fought with Hazael king
of Syria. And Azariah the son of Jehoram king of Judah went
down to see Jehoram the son of Ahab at Jezreel, because he was
Azariah Scripture - 2 Chronicles 31:10
And Azariah the chief priest of the house of Zadok answered
him, and said, Since [the people] began to bring the offerings
into the house of the LORD, we have had enough to eat, and
have left plenty: for the LORD hath blessed his people; and
that which is left [is] this great store.
If you notice a broken link or any error PLEASE report it by clicking HERE
© 1995-2016 Bible History Online