Bible History Online
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
mal-ki'-ja (malkiyah, "Yah is king"; Melcheias, with variants):
(1) A Levite, descendant of Gershom, of those whom David set over the "service of sting" in the worship (1 Ch 6:40).
(2) The head of the 5th course of priests (1 Ch 24:9).
(3) One of the laymen who had taken "strange wives" during the exile (Ezr 10:25); the "Melchias" of 1 Esdras 9:26.
(4) Another of the same name (Ezr 10:25; two in same verse). Called "Asibias" in 1 Esdras 9:26.
(5) Another under the same offense, son of Harim (Ezr 10:31). "Melchias" in 1 Esdras 9:32.
(6) One of the "repairers" who helped with the "tower of the furnaces" (Neh 3:11).
(7) Son of Rechab ruler of Beth-haccerem, repairer of the dung gate (Neh 3:14).
(8) A goldsmith who helped in building the walls of Jerusalem (Neh 3:31).
(9) One of those at Ezra's left hand when he read the law (though possibly one of the above (Neh 8:4)). In 1 Esdras 9:44 "Melchias."
(10) One of the covenant signatories (Neh 10:3).
(11) The father of Pashhur (Neh 11:12; Jer 21:1; 38:1).
(12) A priest, a singer at the dedication of the walls of Jerusalem under Ezra and Nehemiah (Neh 12:42).
(13) (malkiyahu as above with u ending): Son of Ham-melech (or, as 1 Ki 22:26; 2 Ch 28:7 translate it, "king's son"). Jeremiah was cast into his dungeon or pit (Jer 38:6).
The King James Version spells "Malchiah" or "Malchijah" indifferently with "Melchiah" in Jer 21:1; the English Revised Version has "Malchiah" in Jer 21:1; 38:1,6, elsewhere "Malchijah"; the American Standard Revised Version has "Malchijah" throughout.
Orr, James, M.A., D.D. General Editor. "Definition for 'MALCHIJAH'". "International Standard Bible Encyclopedia". bible-history.com - ISBE
; 1915.Copyright Information
© International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (ISBE)
ISBE Bible Encyclopedia Home
Bible History Online Home
Bible Encyclopedia (ISBE)
Online Bible (KJV)
Naves Topical Bible
Smith's Bible Dictionary
Easton's Bible Dictionary
Fausset's Bible Dictionary
Matthew Henry Bible Commentary
Hitchcock's Bible Dictionary
Related Bible History
Popular and Trending:
Meaning of the name
Alexander, Alexander the Great, Alexander the Coppersmith,
Syria and Bible Prophecy,
Bible Study about Syria, What the Bible Says about Syria and Damascus, Isaiah 17,
The Bible and Palm
Trees, Bible Study about the Palm Tree, The Righteous Will Flourish like a Palm
Tree Psalm 92:12,
Definition of Paraclete, Bible study about the Holy Spirit and the Paraclete,
Paracletus in the Greek,
Games in the Bible, What
Games Did Kids Play in Biblical Times? Which Kinds of Games Existed in the Time
of Jesus?, The
Church at Thyatira, What Was the Message to Thyatira, Revelation 2 and Thyatira,
history of Thyatira,
David and Goliath, How Tall Was Goliath, Archaeological Discoveries and Goliath,
Goliath And Philistine History,
Who Was Titus in the Bible,
Paul's Letter to Titus, Bible Study Lessons in Titus,
Meaning of the Name
Tanner, Bible Study about Simon the Tanner, Acts 10:6 Peter Was Staying at the
House of Simon the Tanner, What Was a Tanner