Life of Jesus
Herd of Many Swine
Mat 8:28-33; Mk 5:1-21; Lk 8:26-40
28 When He had come to the other side, to the country of the Gergesenes, there
met Him two demon-possessed men, coming out of the tombs, exceedingly fierce, so
that no one could pass that way.
29 And suddenly they cried out, saying, "What have we to do with You, Jesus, You
Son of God? Have You come here to torment us before the time?"
30 Now a good way off from them there was a herd of many swine feeding.
31 So the demons begged Him, saying, "If You cast us out, permit us to go away
into the herd of swine."
32 And He said to them, "Go." So when they had come out, they went into the herd
of swine. And suddenly the whole herd of swine ran violently down the steep
place into the sea, and perished in the water.
33 Then those who kept them fled; and they went away into the city and told
everything, including what had happened to the demon-possessed men.
- Then they came to the other side of the sea, to the country of the Gadarenes.
- And when He had come out of the boat, immediately there met Him out of the
tombs a man with an unclean spirit,
- who had his dwelling among the tombs; and no one could bind him, not even with
- because he had often been bound with shackles and chains. And the chains had
been pulled apart by him, and the shackles broken in pieces; neither could
anyone tame him.
- And always, night and day, he was in the mountains and in the tombs, crying
out and cutting himself with stones.
- When he saw Jesus from afar, he ran and worshiped Him.
- And he cried out with a loud voice and said, "What have I to do with You,
Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I implore You by God that You do not torment me."
- For He said to him, "Come out of the man, unclean spirit!"
- Then He asked him, "What is your name?" And he answered, saying, "My name is
Legion; for we are many."
- Also he begged Him earnestly that He would not send them out of the country.
- Now a large herd of swine was feeding there near the mountains.
- So all the demons begged Him, saying, "Send us to the swine, that we may enter
- And at once Jesus gave them permission. Then the unclean spirits went out and
entered the swine (there were about two thousand); and the herd ran violently
down the steep place into the sea, and drowned in the sea.
- So those who fed the swine fled, and they told it in the city and in the
country. And they went out to see what it was that had happened.
- Then they came to Jesus, and saw the one who had been demon-possessed and had
the legion, sitting and clothed and in his right mind. And they were afraid.
- And those who saw it told them how it happened to him who had been
demon-possessed, and about the swine.
- Then they began to plead with Him to depart from their region.
- And when He got into the boat, he who had been demon-possessed begged Him that
he might be with Him.
- However, Jesus did not permit him, but said to him, "Go home to your friends,
and tell them what great things the Lord has done for you, and how He has had
compassion on you."
- And he departed and began to proclaim in Decapolis all that Jesus had done for
him; and all marveled.
- Now when Jesus had crossed over again by boat to the other side, a great
multitude gathered to Him; and He was by the sea.
26 Then they sailed to the country of the Gadarenes, which is opposite Galilee.
27 And when He stepped out on the land, there met Him a certain man from the city
who had demons for a long time. And he wore no clothes, nor did he live in a
house but in the tombs.
28 When he saw Jesus, he cried out, fell down before Him, and with a loud voice
said, "What have I to do with You, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I beg You,
do not torment me!"
29 For He had commanded the unclean spirit to come out of the man. For it had
often seized him, and he was kept under guard, bound with chains and shackles; and
he broke the bonds and was driven by the demon into the wilderness.
30 Jesus asked him, saying, "What is your name?" And he said, "Legion," because
many demons had entered him.
31 And they begged Him that He would not command them to go out into the abyss.
32 Now a herd of many swine was feeding there on the mountain. And they begged
Him that He would permit them to enter them. And He permitted them.
33 Then the demons went out of the man and entered the swine, and the herd ran
violently down the steep place into the lake and drowned.
34 When those who fed them saw what had happened, they fled and told it in the
city and in the country.
35 Then they went out to see what had happened, and came to Jesus, and found the
man from whom the demons had departed, sitting at the feet of Jesus, clothed
and in his right mind. And they were afraid.
36 They also who had seen it told them by what means he who had been
demon-possessed was healed.
37 Then the whole multitude of the surrounding region of the Gadarenes asked Him
to depart from them, for they were seized with great fear. And He got into the
boat and returned.
38 Now the man from whom the demons had departed begged Him that he might be with
Him. But Jesus sent him away, saying,
39 "Return to your own house, and tell what great things God has done for you."
And he went his way and proclaimed throughout the whole city what great things
Jesus had done for him.
40 So it was, when Jesus returned, that the multitude welcomed Him, for they were
all waiting for Him.