Life of Jesus
The Parables of the Ten Virgins and the Talents
- "Then the kingdom of heaven shall be likened to ten virgins who took their
lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.
- "Now five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
- "Those who were foolish took their lamps and took no oil with them,
- "but the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
- "But while the bridegroom was delayed, they all slumbered and slept.
- "And at midnight a cry was heard: 'Behold, the bridegroom is coming; go out to
- "Then all those virgins arose and trimmed their lamps.
- "And the foolish said to the wise, 'Give us some of your oil, for our lamps
are going out.'
- "But the wise answered, saying, 'No, lest there should not be enough for us
and you; but go rather to those who sell, and buy for yourselves.'
- "And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready
went in with him to the wedding; and the door was shut.
- "Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, 'Lord, Lord, open to us!'
- "But he answered and said, 'Assuredly, I say to you, I do not know you.'
- "Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son
of Man is coming.
- "For the kingdom of heaven is like a man traveling to a far country, who
called his own servants and delivered his goods to them.
- "And to one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one, to each
according to his own ability; and immediately he went on a journey.
- "Then he who had received the five talents went and traded with them, and made
another five talents.
- "And likewise he who had received two gained two more also.
- "But he who had received one went and dug in the ground, and hid his lord's
- "After a long time the lord of those servants came and settled accounts with
- "So he who had received five talents came and brought five other talents,
saying, 'Lord, you delivered to me five talents; look, I have gained five more
talents besides them.'
- "His lord said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful servant; you were
faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy
of your lord.'
- "He also who had received two talents came and said, 'Lord, you delivered to
me two talents; look, I have gained two more talents besides them.'
- "His lord said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful servant; you have been
faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into
the joy of your lord.'
- "Then he who had received the one talent came and said, 'Lord, I knew you to
be a hard man, reaping where you have not sown, and gathering where you have not
- 'And I was afraid, and went and hid your talent in the ground. Look, there you
have what is yours.'
- "But his lord answered and said to him, 'You wicked and lazy servant, you knew
that I reap where I have not sown, and gather where I have not scattered seed.
- 'So you ought to have deposited my money with the bankers, and at my coming I
would have received back my own with interest.
- 'Therefore take the talent from him, and give it to him who has ten talents.
- 'For to everyone who has, more will be given, and he will have abundance; but
from him who does not have, even what he has will be taken away.
- 'And cast the unprofitable servant into the outer darkness. There will be
weeping and gnashing of teeth.'