Life of Jesus
The Parable of the Great Supper
Mat 22:1-14; Lk 14:16-24
- And Jesus answered and spoke to them again by parables and said:
- "The kingdom of heaven is like a certain king who arranged a marriage for his
- "and sent out his servants to call those who were invited to the wedding; and
they were not willing to come.
- "Again, he sent out other servants, saying, 'Tell those who are invited, "See,
I have prepared my dinner; my oxen and fatted cattle are killed, and all
things are ready. Come to the wedding."'
- "But they made light of it and went their ways, one to his own farm, another
to his business.
- "And the rest seized his servants, treated them spitefully, and killed them.
- "But when the king heard about it, he was furious. And he sent out his armies,
destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city.
- "Then he said to his servants, 'The wedding is ready, but those who were
invited were not worthy.
- 'Therefore go into the highways, and as many as you find, invite to the
- "So those servants went out into the highways and gathered together all whom
they found, both bad and good. And the wedding hall was filled with guests.
- "But when the king came in to see the guests, he saw a man there who did not
have on a wedding garment.
- "So he said to him, 'Friend, how did you come in here without a wedding
garment?' And he was speechless.
- "Then the king said to the servants, 'Bind him hand and foot, take him away,
and cast him into outer darkness; there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'
- "For many are called, but few are chosen."
16 Then He said to him, "A certain man gave a great supper and invited many,
17 "and sent his servant at supper time to say to those who were invited, 'Come,
for all things are now ready.'
18 "But they all with one accord began to make excuses. The first said to him, 'I
have bought a piece of ground, and I must go and see it. I ask you to have me
19 "And another said, 'I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I am going to test
them. I ask you to have me excused.'
20 "Still another said, 'I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.'
21 "So that servant came and reported these things to his master. Then the master
of the house, being angry, said to his servant, 'Go out quickly into the
streets and lanes of the city, and bring in here the poor and the maimed and the
lame and the blind.'
22 "And the servant said, 'Master, it is done as you commanded, and still there
23 "Then the master said to the servant, 'Go out into the highways and hedges,
and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.
24 'For I say to you that none of those men who were invited shall taste my