Life of Jesus
And Jesus Rebuked the Demon
Mat 17:14-21; Mk 9:14-29; Lk 9:37-43
- And when they had come to the multitude, a man came to Him, kneeling down to
Him and saying,
- "Lord, have mercy on my son, for he is an epileptic and suffers severely; for
he often falls into the fire and often into the water.
- "So I brought him to Your disciples, but they could not cure him."
- Then Jesus answered and said, "O faithless and perverse generation, how long
shall I be with you? How long shall I bear with you? Bring him here to Me."
- And Jesus rebuked the demon, and it came out of him; and the child was cured
from that very hour.
- Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, "Why could we not cast
- So Jesus said to them, "Because of your unbelief; for assuredly, I say to you,
if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from
here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you.
- "However, this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting."
14 And when He came to the disciples, He saw a great multitude around them, and
scribes disputing with them.
15 Immediately, when they saw Him, all the people were greatly amazed, and
running to Him, greeted Him.
16 And He asked the scribes, "What are you discussing with them?"
17 Then one of the crowd answered and said, "Teacher, I brought You my son, who
has a mute spirit.
18 "And wherever he seizes him, he throws him down; he foams at the mouth,
gnashes his teeth, and becomes rigid. So I spoke to Your disciples, that they should
cast him out, but they could not."
19 He answered him and said, "O faithless generation, how long shall I be with
you? How long shall I bear with you? Bring him to Me."
20 Then they brought him to Him. And when he saw Him, immediately the spirit
convulsed him, and he fell on the ground and wallowed, foaming at the mouth.
21 So He asked his father, "How long has this been happening to him?" And he
said, "From childhood.
- "And often he has thrown him both into the fire and into the water to destroy
him. But if You can do anything, have compassion on us and help us."
- Jesus said to him, "If you can believe, all things are possible to him who
- Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, "Lord, I
believe; help my unbelief!"
- When Jesus saw that the people came running together, He rebuked the unclean
spirit, saying to it, "Deaf and dumb spirit, I command you, come out of him and
enter him no more!"
- Then the spirit cried out, convulsed him greatly, and came out of him. And he
became as one dead, so that many said, "He is dead."
- But Jesus took him by the hand and lifted him up, and he arose.
- And when He had come into the house, His disciples asked Him privately, "Why
could we not cast him out?"
- So He said to them, "This kind can come out by nothing but prayer and fasting."
37 Now it happened on the next day, when they had come down from the mountain,
that a great multitude met Him.
38 Suddenly a man from the multitude cried out, saying, "Teacher, I implore You,
look on my son, for he is my only child.
39 "And behold, a spirit seizes him, and he suddenly cries out; it convulses him
so that he foams at the mouth, and it departs from him with great difficulty,
40 "So I implored Your disciples to cast it out, but they could not."
41 Then Jesus answered and said, "O faithless and perverse generation, how long
shall I be with you and bear with you? Bring your son here."
42 And as he was still coming, the demon threw him down and convulsed him. Then
Jesus rebuked the unclean spirit, healed the child, and gave him back to his
43 And they were all amazed at the majesty of God. But while everyone marveled at
all the things which Jesus did, He said to His disciples,