Life of Jesus
He Sent His Disciples Out With Power and Authority
Mat 10; Mk 6:6-13, Lk 9:1-6
- And when He had called His twelve disciples to Him, He gave them power over
unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all kinds of sickness and all
kinds of disease.
- Now the names of the twelve apostles are these: first, Simon, who is called
Peter, and Andrew his brother; James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother;
- Philip and Bartholomew; Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James the son of
Alphaeus, and Lebbaeus, whose surname was Thaddaeus;
- Simon the Canaanite, and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed Him.
- These twelve Jesus sent out and commanded them, saying: "Do not go into the
way of the Gentiles, and do not enter a city of the Samaritans.
- "But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
- "And as you go, preach, saying, 'The kingdom of heaven is at hand.'
- "Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely
you have received, freely give.
- "Provide neither gold nor silver nor copper in your money belts,
- "nor bag for your journey, nor two tunics, nor sandals, nor staffs; for a
worker is worthy of his food.
- "Now whatever city or town you enter, inquire who in it is worthy, and stay
there till you go out.
- "And when you go into a household, greet it.
- "If the household is worthy, let your peace come upon it. But if it is not
worthy, let your peace return to you.
- "And whoever will not receive you nor hear your words, when you depart from
that house or city, shake off the dust from your feet.
- "Assuredly, I say to you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and
Gomorrah in the day of judgment than for that city!
- "Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as
serpents and harmless as doves.
- "But beware of men, for they will deliver you up to councils and scourge you
in their synagogues.
- "You will be brought before governors and kings for My sake, as a testimony to
them and to the Gentiles.
- "But when they deliver you up, do not worry about how or what you should
speak. For it will be given to you in that hour what you should speak;
- "for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you.
- "Now brother will deliver up brother to death, and a father his child; and
children will rise up against parents and cause them to be put to death.
- "And you will be hated by all for My name's sake. But he who endures to the
end will be saved.
- "When they persecute you in this city, flee to another. For assuredly, I say
to you, you will not have gone through the cities of Israel before the Son of
- "A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master.
- "It is enough for a disciple that he be like his teacher, and a servant like
his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more
will they call those of his household!
- "Therefore do not fear them. For there is nothing covered that will not be
revealed, and hidden that will not be known.
- "Whatever I tell you in the dark, speak in the light; and what you hear in the
ear, preach on the housetops.
- "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather
fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
- "Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the
ground apart from your Father's will.
- "But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
- "Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.
- "Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My
Father who is in heaven.
- "But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who
is in heaven.
- "Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring
peace but a sword.
- "For I have come to 'set a man against his father, a daughter against her
mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law';
- "and 'a man's enemies will be those of his own household.'
- "He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who
loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me.
- "And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me.
- "He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake
will find it.
- "He who receives you receives Me, and he who receives Me receives Him who sent
- "He who receives a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet's
reward. And he who receives a righteous man in the name of a righteous man
shall receive a righteous man's reward.
- "And whoever gives one of these little ones only a cup of cold water in the
name of a disciple, assuredly, I say to you, he shall by no means lose his
6 And He marveled because of their unbelief. Then He went about the villages in
a circuit, teaching.
7 And He called the twelve to Himself, and began to send them out two by two,
and gave them power over unclean spirits.
8 He commanded them to take nothing for the journey except a staff-- no bag, no
bread, no copper in their money belts--
9 but to wear sandals, and not to put on two tunics.
10 Also He said to them, "In whatever place you enter a house, stay there till
you depart from that place.
11 "And whoever will not receive you nor hear you, when you depart from there,
shake off the dust under your feet as a testimony against them. Assuredly, I say
to you, it will be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment
than for that city!"
12 So they went out and preached that people should repent.
13 And they cast out many demons, and anointed with oil many who were sick, and
- Then He called His twelve disciples together and gave them power and authority
over all demons, and to cure diseases.
- He sent them to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick.
- And He said to them, "Take nothing for the journey, neither staffs nor bag nor
bread nor money; and do not have two tunics apiece.
- "Whatever house you enter, stay there, and from there depart.
- "And whoever will not receive you, when you go out of that city, shake off the
very dust from your feet as a testimony against them."
- So they departed and went through the towns, preaching the gospel and healing