Life of Jesus
Then He Appointed Twelve
Mat 10:2-4; Mk 3:13-19; Lk 6: 12-19
2 Now the names of the twelve apostles are these: first, Simon, who is called
Peter, and Andrew his brother; James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother;
3 Philip and Bartholomew; Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James the son of
Alphaeus, and Lebbaeus, whose surname was Thaddaeus;
4 Simon the Canaanite, and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed Him.
- And He went up on the mountain and called to Him those He Himself wanted. And
they came to Him.
- Then He appointed twelve, that they might be with Him and that He might send
them out to preach,
- and to have power to heal sicknesses and to cast out demons:
- Simon, to whom He gave the name Peter;
- James the son of Zebedee and John the brother of James, to whom He gave the
name Boanerges, that is, "Sons of Thunder";
- Andrew, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew, Thomas, James the son of Alphaeus,
Thaddaeus, Simon the Cananite;
- and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed Him. And they went into a house.
12 Now it came to pass in those days that He went out to the mountain to pray,
and continued all night in prayer to God.
13 And when it was day, He called His disciples to Himself; and from them He
chose twelve whom He also named apostles:
14 Simon, whom He also named Peter, and Andrew his brother; James and John;
Philip and Bartholomew;
15 Matthew and Thomas; James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon called the Zealot;
16 Judas the son of James, and Judas Iscariot who also became a traitor.
17 And He came down with them and stood on a level place with a crowd of His
disciples and a great multitude of people from all Judea and Jerusalem, and from
the seacoast of Tyre and Sidon, who came to hear Him and be healed of their
18 as well as those who were tormented with unclean spirits. And they were healed.
19 And the whole multitude sought to touch Him, for power went out from Him and
healed them all.