Life of Jesus
He Set His Face to Go to Jerusalem
Lk 9:51-62; Jn 7:2-11
- Now it came to pass, when the time had come for Him to be received up, that He
steadfastly set His face to go to Jerusalem,
- and sent messengers before His face. And as they went, they entered a village
of the Samaritans, to prepare for Him.
- But they did not receive Him, because His face was set for the journey to
- And when His disciples James and John saw this, they said, "Lord, do You want
us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them, just as Elijah
- But He turned and rebuked them, and said, "You do not know what manner of
spirit you are of.
- "For the Son of Man did not come to destroy men's lives but to save them." And
they went to another village.
- Now it happened as they journeyed on the road, that someone said to Him,
"Lord, I will follow You wherever You go."
- And Jesus said to him, "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but
the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head."
- Then He said to another, "Follow Me." But he said, "Lord, let me first go and
bury my father."
- Jesus said to him, "Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and preach
the kingdom of God."
- And another also said, "Lord, I will follow You, but let me first go and bid
them farewell who are at my house."
- But Jesus said to him, "No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking
back, is fit for the kingdom of God."
2 Now the Jews' Feast of Tabernacles was at hand.
3 His brothers therefore said to Him, "Depart from here and go into Judea, that
Your disciples also may see the works that You are doing.
4 "For no one does anything in secret while he himself seeks to be known openly.
If You do these things, show Yourself to the world."
5 For even His brothers did not believe in Him.
6 Then Jesus said to them, "My time has not yet come, but your time is always
7 "The world cannot hate you, but it hates Me because I testify of it that its
works are evil.
8 "You go up to this feast. I am not yet going up to this feast, for My time has
not yet fully come."
9 When He had said these things to them, He remained in Galilee.
10 But when His brothers had gone up, then He also went up to the feast, not
openly, but as it were in secret.
11 Then the Jews sought Him at the feast, and said, "Where is He?"