Life of Jesus
Jesus Teaches His Disciples to Pray
- Now it came to pass, as He was praying in a certain place, when He ceased,
that one of His disciples said to Him, "Lord, teach us to pray, as John also
taught his disciples."
- So He said to them, "When you pray, say: our Father in heaven, hallowed be
Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
- Give us day by day our daily bread.
- And forgive us our sins, for we also forgive everyone who is indebted to us.
And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one."
- And He said to them, "Which of you shall have a friend, and go to him at
midnight and say to him, 'Friend, lend me three loaves;
- 'for a friend of mine has come to me on his journey, and I have nothing to set
- "and he will answer from within and say, 'Do not trouble me; the door is now
shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give to you'?
- "I say to you, though he will not rise and give to him because he is his
friend, yet because of his persistence he will rise and give him as many as he needs.
- "So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find;
knock, and it will be opened to you.
- "For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks
it will be opened.
- "If a son asks for bread from any father among you, will he give him a stone?
Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish?
- "Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?
- "If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how
much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!"