Life of Jesus
The Lord Appointed Seventy Others
- After these things the Lord appointed seventy others also, and sent them two
by two before His face into every city and place where He Himself was about to
- Then He said to them, "The harvest truly is great, but the laborers are few;
therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.
- "Go your way; behold, I send you out as lambs among wolves.
- "Carry neither money bag, knapsack, nor sandals; and greet no one along the
- "But whatever house you enter, first say, 'Peace to this house.'
- "And if a son of peace is there, your peace will rest on it; if not, it will
return to you.
- "And remain in the same house, eating and drinking such things as they give,
for the laborer is worthy of his wages. Do not go from house to house.
- "Whatever city you enter, and they receive you, eat such things as are set
- "And heal the sick there, and say to them, 'The kingdom of God has come near
- "But whatever city you enter, and they do not receive you, go out into its
streets and say,
- 'The very dust of your city which clings to us we wipe off against you.
Nevertheless know this, that the kingdom of God has come near you.'
- "But I say to you that it will be more tolerable in that Day for Sodom than
for that city.
- "Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the mighty works which
were done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long
ago, sitting in sackcloth and ashes.
- "But it will be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the judgment than for you.
- "And you, Capernaum, who are exalted to heaven, will be thrust down to Hades.
- "He who hears you hears Me, he who rejects you rejects Me, and he who rejects
Me rejects Him who sent Me."