Life of Jesus
My Sheep Hear My Voice
Jn 9:39-41; 10:1-21
39 And Jesus said, "For judgment I have come into this world, that those who do
not see may see, and that those who see may be made blind."
40 Then some of the Pharisees who were with Him heard these words, and said to
Him, "Are we blind also?"
41 Jesus said to them, "If you were blind, you would have no sin; but now you
say, 'We see.' Therefore your sin remains.
- "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the
door, but climbs up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.
- "But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.
- "To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice; and he calls his
own sheep by name and leads them out.
- "And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep
follow him, for they know his voice.
- "Yet they will by no means follow a stranger, but will flee from him, for they
do not know the voice of strangers."
- Jesus used this illustration, but they did not understand the things which He
spoke to them.
- Then Jesus said to them again, "Most assuredly, I say to you, I am the door of
- "All who ever came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not
- "I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and
out and find pasture.
- "The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have
come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.
- "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.
- "But a hireling, he who is not the shepherd, one who does not own the sheep,
sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees; and the wolf catches the
sheep and scatters them.
- "The hireling flees because he is a hireling and does not care about the sheep.
- "I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own.
- "As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for
- "And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring,
and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd.
- "Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it
- "No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it
down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My
- Therefore there was a division again among the Jews because of these sayings.
- And many of them said, "He has a demon and is mad. Why do you listen to Him?"
- Others said, "These are not the words of one who has a demon. Can a demon open
the eyes of the blind?"