Life of Jesus
Jesus Teaches in the Temple at the Feast of Tabernacles
Jn 7:14-53; 8:1-59
14 Now about the middle of the feast Jesus went up into the temple and taught.
15 And the Jews marveled, saying, "How does this Man know letters, having never
16 Jesus answered them and said, "My doctrine is not Mine, but His who sent Me.
17 "If anyone wants to do His will, he shall know concerning the doctrine,
whether it is from God or whether I speak on My own authority.
18 "He who speaks from himself seeks his own glory; but He who seeks the glory of
the One who sent Him is true, and no unrighteousness is in Him.
19 "Did not Moses give you the law, yet none of you keeps the law? Why do you
seek to kill Me?"
- The people answered and said, "You have a demon. Who is seeking to kill You?"
- Jesus answered and said to them, "I did one work, and you all marvel.
- "Moses therefore gave you circumcision (not that it is from Moses, but from
the fathers), and you circumcise a man on the Sabbath.
- "If a man receives circumcision on the Sabbath, so that the law of Moses
should not be broken, are you angry with Me because I made a man completely well on
- "Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment."
- Now some of them from Jerusalem said, "Is this not He whom they seek to kill?
- "But look! He speaks boldly, and they say nothing to Him. Do the rulers know
indeed that this is truly the Christ?
- "However, we know where this Man is from; but when the Christ comes, no one
knows where He is from."
- Then Jesus cried out, as He taught in the temple, saying, "You both know Me,
and you know where I am from; and I have not come of Myself, but He who sent Me
is true, whom you do not know.
- "But I know Him, for I am from Him, and He sent Me."
- Then they sought to take Him; but no one laid a hand on Him, because His hour
had not yet come.
- And many of the people believed in Him, and said, "When the Christ comes, will
He do more signs than these which this Man has done?"
- The Pharisees heard the crowd murmuring these things concerning Him, and the
Pharisees and the chief priests sent officers to take Him.
- Then Jesus said to them, "I shall be with you a little while longer, and then
I go to Him who sent Me.
- "You will seek Me and not find Me, and where I am you cannot come."
- Then the Jews said among themselves, "Where does He intend to go that we shall
not find Him? Does He intend to go to the Dispersion among the Greeks and
teach the Greeks?
- "What is this thing that He said, 'You will seek Me and not find Me, and where
I am you cannot come'?"
- On the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out,
saying, "If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink.
- "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow
rivers of living water."
- But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would
receive; for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet
- Therefore many from the crowd, when they heard this saying, said, "Truly this
is the Prophet."
- Others said, "This is the Christ." But some said, "Will the Christ come out of
- "Has not the Scripture said that the Christ comes from the seed of David and
from the town of Bethlehem, where David was?"
- So there was a division among the people because of Him.
- Now some of them wanted to take Him, but no one laid hands on Him.
- Then the officers came to the chief priests and Pharisees, who said to them,
"Why have you not brought Him?"
- The officers answered, "No man ever spoke like this Man!"
- Then the Pharisees answered them, "Are you also deceived?
- "Have any of the rulers or the Pharisees believed in Him?
- "But this crowd that does not know the law is accursed."
- Nicodemus (he who came to Jesus by night, being one of them) said to them,
- "Does our law judge a man before it hears him and knows what he is doing?"
- They answered and said to him, "Are you also from Galilee? Search and look,
for no prophet has arisen out of Galilee."
- And everyone went to his own house.
- But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives.
- Now early in the morning He came again into the temple, and all the people
came to Him; and He sat down and taught them.
- Then the scribes and Pharisees brought to Him a woman caught in adultery. And
when they had set her in the midst,
- they said to Him, "Teacher, this woman was caught in adultery, in the very act.
- "Now Moses, in the law, commanded us that such should be stoned. But what do
- This they said, testing Him, that they might have something of which to accuse
Him. But Jesus stooped down and wrote on the ground with His finger, as though
He did not hear.
- So when they continued asking Him, He raised Himself up and said to them, "He
who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first."
- And again He stooped down and wrote on the ground.
- Then those who heard it, being convicted by their conscience, went out one by
one, beginning with the oldest even to the last. And Jesus was left alone, and
the woman standing in the midst.
- When Jesus had raised Himself up and saw no one but the woman, He said to her,
"Woman, where are those accusers of yours? Has no one condemned you?"
- She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said to her, "Neither do I condemn you; go
and sin no more."
- Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, "I am the light of the world. He who
follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life."
- The Pharisees therefore said to Him, "You bear witness of Yourself; Your
witness is not true."
- Jesus answered and said to them, "Even if I bear witness of Myself, My witness
is true, for I know where I came from and where I am going; but you do not
know where I come from and where I am going.
- "You judge according to the flesh; I judge no one.
- "And yet if I do judge, My judgment is true; for I am not alone, but I am with
the Father who sent Me.
- "It is also written in your law that the testimony of two men is true.
- "I am One who bears witness of Myself, and the Father who sent Me bears
witness of Me."
- Then they said to Him, "Where is Your Father?" Jesus answered, "You know
neither Me nor My Father. If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also."
- These words Jesus spoke in the treasury, as He taught in the temple; and no
one laid hands on Him, for His hour had not yet come.
- Then Jesus said to them again, "I am going away, and you will seek Me, and
will die in your sin. Where I go you cannot come."
- So the Jews said, "Will He kill Himself, because He says, 'Where I go you
- And He said to them, "You are from beneath; I am from above. You are of this
world; I am not of this world.
- "Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not
believe that I am He, you will die in your sins."
- Then they said to Him, "Who are You?" And Jesus said to them, "Just what I
have been saying to you from the beginning.
- "I have many things to say and to judge concerning you, but He who sent Me is
true; and I speak to the world those things which I heard from Him."
- They did not understand that He spoke to them of the Father.
- Then Jesus said to them, "When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know
that I am He, and that I do nothing of Myself; but as My Father taught Me, I
speak these things.
- "And He who sent Me is with Me. The Father has not left Me alone, for I always
do those things that please Him."
- As He spoke these words, many believed in Him.
- Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, "If you abide in My word, you
are My disciples indeed.
- "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."
- They answered Him, "We are Abraham's descendants, and have never been in
bondage to anyone. How can you say, 'You will be made free'?"
- Jesus answered them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a
slave of sin.
- "And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever.
- "Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.
- "I know that you are Abraham's descendants, but you seek to kill Me, because
My word has no place in you.
- "I speak what I have seen with My Father, and you do what you have seen with
- They answered and said to Him, "Abraham is our father." Jesus said to them,
"If you were Abraham's children, you would do the works of Abraham.
- "But now you seek to kill Me, a Man who has told you the truth which I heard
from God. Abraham did not do this.
- "You do the deeds of your father." Then they said to Him, "We were not born of
fornication; we have one Father-- God."
- Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I
proceeded forth and came from God; nor have I come of Myself, but He sent Me.
- "Why do you not understand My speech? Because you are not able to listen to My
- "You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to
do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth,
because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own
resources, for he is a liar and the father of it.
- "But because I tell the truth, you do not believe Me.
- "Which of you convicts Me of sin? And if I tell the truth, why do you not
- "He who is of God hears God's words; therefore you do not hear, because you
are not of God."
- Then the Jews answered and said to Him, "Do we not say rightly that You are a
Samaritan and have a demon?"
- Jesus answered, "I do not have a demon; but I honor My Father, and you
- "And I do not seek My own glory; there is One who seeks and judges.
- "Most assuredly, I say to you, if anyone keeps My word he shall never see
- Then the Jews said to Him, "Now we know that You have a demon! Abraham is
dead, and the prophets; and You say, 'If anyone keeps My word he shall never taste
- "Are You greater than our father Abraham, who is dead? And the prophets are
dead. Whom do You make Yourself out to be?"
- Jesus answered, "If I honor Myself, My honor is nothing. It is My Father who
honors Me, of whom you say that He is your God.
- "Yet you have not known Him, but I know Him. And if I say, 'I do not know
Him,' I shall be a liar like you; but I do know Him and keep His word.
- "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad."
- Then the Jews said to Him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen
- Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM."
- Then they took up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself and went out
of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.