Life of Jesus
His First Disciples
- Again, the next day, John stood with two of his disciples.
- And looking at Jesus as He walked, he said, "Behold the Lamb of God!"
- The two disciples heard him speak, and they followed Jesus.
- Then Jesus turned, and seeing them following, said to them, "What do you
seek?" They said to Him, "Rabbi" (which is to say, when translated, Teacher), "where
are You staying?"
- He said to them, "Come and see." They came and saw where He was staying, and
remained with Him that day (now it was about the tenth hour).
- One of the two who heard John speak, and followed Him, was Andrew, Simon
- He first found his own brother Simon, and said to him, "We have found the
Messiah" (which is translated, the Christ).
- And he brought him to Jesus. Now when Jesus looked at him, He said, "You are
Simon the son of Jonah. You shall be called Cephas" (which is translated, A
- The following day Jesus wanted to go to Galilee, and He found Philip and said
to him, "Follow Me."
- Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter.
- Philip found Nathanael and said to him, "We have found Him of whom Moses in
the law, and also the prophets, wrote-- Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph."
- And Nathanael said to him, "Can anything good come out of Nazareth?" Philip
said to him, "Come and see."
- Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward Him, and said of him, "Behold, an Israelite
indeed, in whom is no deceit!"
- Nathanael said to Him, "How do You know me?" Jesus answered and said to him,
"Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you."
- Nathanael answered and said to Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God! You are
the King of Israel!"
- Jesus answered and said to him, "Because I said to you, 'I saw you under the
fig tree,' do you believe? You will see greater things than these."
- And He said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, hereafter you shall see
heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man."