Life of Jesus
Mary Anoints the Feet of Jesus
- Then, six days before the Passover, Jesus came to Bethany, where Lazarus was
who had been dead, whom He had raised from the dead.
- There they made Him a supper; and Martha served, but Lazarus was one of those
who sat at the table with Him.
- Then Mary took a pound of very costly oil of spikenard, anointed the feet of
Jesus, and wiped His feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the
fragrance of the oil.
- Then one of His disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, who would betray Him,
- "Why was this fragrant oil not sold for three hundred denarii and given to the
- This he said, not that he cared for the poor, but because he was a thief, and
had the money box; and he used to take what was put in it.
- But Jesus said, "Let her alone; she has kept this for the day of My burial.
- "For the poor you have with you always, but Me you do not have always."
- Now a great many of the Jews knew that He was there; and they came, not for
Jesus' sake only, but that they might also see Lazarus, whom He had raised from