Life of Jesus
The Testimony of John the Baptist
- Now this is the testimony of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from
Jerusalem to ask him, "Who are you?"
- He confessed, and did not deny, but confessed, "I am not the Christ."
- And they asked him, "What then? Are you Elijah?" He said, "I am not." "Are you
the Prophet?" And he answered, "No."
- Then they said to him, "Who are you, that we may give an answer to those who
sent us? What do you say about yourself?"
- He said: "I am 'The voice of one crying in the wilderness: "Make straight the
way of the Lord," 'as the prophet Isaiah said."
- Now those who were sent were from the Pharisees.
- And they asked him, saying, "Why then do you baptize if you are not the
Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?"
- John answered them, saying, "I baptize with water, but there stands One among
you whom you do not know.
- "It is He who, coming after me, is preferred before me, whose sandal strap I
am not worthy to loose."
- These things were done in Bethabara beyond the Jordan, where John was
- The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, "Behold! The Lamb of
God who takes away the sin of the world!
- "This is He of whom I said, 'After me comes a Man who is preferred before me,
for He was before me.'
- "I did not know Him; but that He should be revealed to Israel, therefore I
came baptizing with water."
- And John bore witness, saying, "I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a
dove, and He remained upon Him.
- "I did not know Him, but He who sent me to baptize with water said to me,
'Upon whom you see the Spirit descending, and remaining on Him, this is He who
baptizes with the Holy Spirit.'
- "And I have seen and testified that this is the Son of God."