Life of Jesus
Declaration of Caiaphas
- Then the chief priests and the Pharisees gathered a council and said, "What
shall we do? For this Man works many signs.
- "If we let Him alone like this, everyone will believe in Him, and the Romans
will come and take away both our place and nation."
- And one of them, Caiaphas, being high priest that year, said to them, "You
know nothing at all,
- "nor do you consider that it is expedient for us that one man should die for
the people, and not that the whole nation should perish."
- Now this he did not say on his own authority; but being high priest that year
he prophesied that Jesus would die for the nation,
- and not for that nation only, but also that He would gather together in one
the children of God who were scattered abroad.
- Then, from that day on, they plotted to put Him to death.
- Therefore Jesus no longer walked openly among the Jews, but went from there
into the country near the wilderness, to a city called Ephraim, and there
remained with His disciples.