Life of Jesus
They Picked Up Stones To Stone Him
- Now it was the Feast of Dedication in Jerusalem, and it was winter.
- And Jesus walked in the temple, in Solomon's porch.
- Then the Jews surrounded Him and said to Him, "How long do You keep us in
doubt? If You are the Christ, tell us plainly."
- Jesus answered them, "I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do
in My Father's name, they bear witness of Me.
- "But you do not believe, because you are not of My sheep, as I said to you.
- "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.
- "And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall
anyone snatch them out of My hand.
- "My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able
to snatch them out of My Father's hand.
- "I and My Father are one."
- Then the Jews took up stones again to stone Him.
- Jesus answered them, "Many good works I have shown you from My Father. For
which of those works do you stone Me?"
- The Jews answered Him, saying, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for
blasphemy, and because You, being a Man, make Yourself God."
- Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your law, 'I said, "You are gods" '?
- "If He called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture
cannot be broken),
- "do you say of Him whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, 'You
are blaspheming,' because I said, 'I am the Son of God'?
- "If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me;
- "but if I do, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, that you may
know and believe that the Father is in Me, and I in Him."
- Therefore they sought again to seize Him, but He escaped out of their hand.